Christine Seedling

Christine

First time Gardner

i was wondering what seeds to start growing inside  in march. My location is nj.  ALso was wondering what seeds should or should not be startei together in the starter greenhouse kits. Thanks

Views: 1908 Replies: 3 Date: 2013-02-23T18:13:56.000Z
Result Count: 3

Tools

Soil Stomper

ConsiderThis

Re: First time Gardner

Hi,

I've had good luck starting almost all plants indoors. This year I made my selections based on what produced in the least amount of time. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do when the plants are so tall they reach up to my full spectrum lamp... or what I'm going to do if it's not warm enough in here for them once they're too tall to fit under the glass covers I have on my 12 inch pots.

I wouldn't start lettuce indoors unless you have a sunny window.

http://www.health-boundaries-bite.com
Your fingernails reflect your health --
Learn some warning signs --
Karen Kline

2013-02-25T19:22:12.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Mta214 Green Thumb

Mta214

I'm in Zone 7, and I have had great success starting tomatoes, eggplants, peppers and herbs indoors.  I hesitate to start zucchini indoors, simply because I have always grown those from already-established plants.  I like zucchini too much to risk it not doing well from seed., so I'm choosing to stick with what has worked for me in the past.Laughing Good luck and please let us know what you decided to go with.

2013-03-07T14:14:52.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

GayRNJ

Hi Christine,

I am also in New Jersey (Northern part) and have planted both from seed direct sow, and indoors and transplant.   The Burpee website has a good growing guide on when to start plants indoors and direct sow by plugging in your zip code.  It is pretty accurate.   I usually direct sow (plant right in the ground) plants like lettuce, peas, radishes, beets, spinach.   These are cooler weather crops and can be planted late March/early April.   They can take a light frost and still grow.   Some things I start indoors our the warmer weather crops, like tomatoes, zucchini/squash, peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, and then transplant at the appropriate time.   I have had better luck planting peppers and eggplants later in the season - like beginning of July.  The last two years when planting these at the end of May they grew very slowly.  They really like the heat!  Green beans are also a direct sow, but they need to wait for the ground to be a little warmer as well, so I usually plant these at the end of May.  My advise?  Keep a journal.   You can track when you planted, how they fared, what you liked and what you didn't like.   I have gone through three different kinds of peas before I found the one I like the best.  It's also good to note weather/last frost so you get an idea of when that last frost averages for your immediate area.   Well, good luck!  You will enjoy every minute of it!  Gay

2013-03-07T17:44:59.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 3