fredstir Soil Stomper

fredstir

shade cloth for tomatoes

What's your take on shade cloth to help control cracking during the hot dry summers of  late?  I've watered and fertilized carefully but still a problem?

Views: 3159 Replies: 7 Date: 2013-02-19T01:19:22.000Z
Result Count: 7

Tools

MatthewUHS

MatthewUHS

Re: shade cloth for tomatoes

Cracking is uneven watering period.

2013-03-05T19:25:18.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

MatthewUHS

MatthewUHS

During the dry hot summers of late, you must water every day or every other day preferably in the morning, if you skip 3 day because you are too busy, the next water will bloatt your fruit and crack them.

2013-03-05T19:35:08.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

fredstir Soil Stomper

fredstir

Right  From over watering!!  Like after a heavy rain.    But the past sommer has been super dry??    The theory being to slow the growth down with shade cloth .  I've told to get a moisture meter??  Good grief!!  The italians use light row cover cloth  Agribon 15 for example to shade their tomatoes all the time??

2013-03-05T19:38:31.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

fredstir Soil Stomper

fredstir

I must admit that's a new one on me.  Watering every day?? No doubt yo-yo watering drives tomatoes nuts.  Acepted practices are coulpe of inches a week??   Missing something here.     Anybody out here willing to chime in here?  STANGE??  No blossom rot, no bugs, no disease, tons a tomatoes, suoer growth (have to top them late in season stop growth and force ripining).  Guess a moisture meter or ease off on nitrogen??

2013-03-05T19:49:22.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

MatthewUHS

MatthewUHS

I water an inch a day on well drained soil, you may have a nitrogen issue, epecially if you use grass clippings to mulch.  My plants wilt if I don't at least mist them finely every day, but I use a soaker hose and hit them pretty hard daily.  I am up against a white stucco wall so that could elevate the heat.  My plants if untopped get to 9ft.  but I like to top them, it's easier to support them.

2013-03-05T20:59:06.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

MatthewUHS

MatthewUHS

I remember way back in the 80s you could get away with 3 times a week, but this sun is so hot anymore...

2013-03-05T21:00:26.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

petals

petals

Cracking means uneven watering. However I think the shade cloth might help keep the soil a tad cooler, which would allow the moisture to remain more even.

2013-03-25T14:11:27.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 7