gardenangel Seedling

gardenangel

Burpee Super Sauce Hybrid Tomato

As a gardener with 50 years of growing experience I ordered the seeds for the Super Sauce Hybrid. Planted them under ideal growing conditions with only a germination of 5 out of the 60 plus seeds I planted. I am so disappointed in the quality of seeds that this company of 100 plus years are selling to their customers. I will never again order from Burpee. This is a insult to any dedicated gardener.Yell

Views: 3079 Replies: 8 Date: 2013-02-15T15:27:33.000Z
Result Count: 8

Tools

PuddinHead

PuddinHead

Re: Burpee Super Sauce Hybrid Tomato

I just bought a package of these new Super Sauce Hybrid tomato seeds. Planted them in seed starter medium and they all germinated within 7 days.  I don't have 50 years of garden experience but maybe the seed starter makes a difference.  Seeds don't do as well when i used potting mix.  just my 2 cents but i wouldn't blame Burpee.  I have been more than happy with the quality of Burpee Seeds!

2013-02-17T00:10:18.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

tracy111

I also ordered these Super Sauce Hybrid Tomato seeds and had about the same luck as you did, only the ones that did germinate promptly died. I contacted them and they are going to replace them for free. I am going to try a different potting mix to germinate them and see if I get different results. I always have to try the new and different things that come out just to see if they really do grow the way they say. I realize here in Montana, where I do not have the most perfect growing conditions that they will probably not get as big as they say.     Have a good growing day.     Tracy

2013-02-20T17:42:42.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Shastaman

Shastaman

I too had a problem with my SuperSauce seeds from Burpee.  Of 16 seeds in 4 peat starter pellets, only two germinated.  The other 5 varieties I started at the same time (16 seeds in 4 pellets each) generated 12-15 seedlings each.  Of the two SuperSauce seeds that germinated, one is doing fine (18 inches tall and about to flower) while the other is a non-functional runt.  All of my other tomatoes are 18-25 inches tall and doing fine.  It is not the skill of the gardener that is wanting here, these seeds are just plain defective.  Shame on Burpee.  I don't want new seeds, I'm asking for my money back. 

2013-04-05T22:41:07.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

dirtdevil Soil Stomper

dirtdevil

We planted 26 of these seeds and are all doing well. We used Burpees seed starter kit with the pellets. We have always planted plants in the past and decided to start our vegetable seeds indoors this year. Everything we planted (72 plants) are doing great. We planted another 8 seeds of the super sauce using organic garden soil, those are also doing well.

2013-04-13T02:16:20.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Danielsan

I germed old school,wet papertowel in baggie....5 for 5 and 1.5" in hydro cubes now. They're seeds for gods sake!!! Don't blame Burpee... If the seed don't grow,it don't grow!

2013-04-20T22:27:47.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

KarenSap

KarenSap

I didn't have trouble with the seeds germinating, but the plants have not been as hardy as my heirlooms or other hybrid tomatoes this year.  The stems are thinner and have been having more trouble with the weather conditions than my other tomatoes.  I do have tomatoes growing on them, but just had to prune a whole lot of spotted and yellowing leaves, even though my other plants have been ok in the same bed.  There has been a lot of rain but I mulched and have a ton of sun in my South Jersey backyard.  Has anyone else had trouble with them?  

2013-07-14T18:30:35.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Udgardener

Udgardener

Have to agree with the comments on low germination rates and spindly slow growing plants.  I did remove side shoots and have some nice large tomatoes.  They are slow to turn red.  I have picked them and now are turning red in a window. We will make sauce this week and will report back on the taste.

2013-07-30T01:32:08.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

tracy111

I have been keeping an eye on the Super Sauce Tomatoes and I am not impressed with the growth of them at all. They are a very weak spindley plant and each one has 1 tomato on it and not a whole lot of blossoms either. My other varieties are doing much better. They have lots of fruit on them and I have even eaten 6 tomatoes from my Goliath and Mountain Spring. I don't think I will be trying these again........

2013-08-01T18:51:50.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 8