Ricks20 Seedling

Ricks20

Pest prevention

We had a terrible time last year with cucumber beetles. We admittedly got started late dealing with the problem which may have contributed to it getting out of hand, but we have learned a lesson. We also have what I believe is called a cutworm problem? They are white grub looking pests that seem to hatch into white moths later in the season. We would also like to minimize these pests this year.

What are the best things we can do early, both to the soil prior to planting and to plants and soil after planting, to minimize the impact? We do not use any chemical pesticides other than Safer or similar products. We tried nematodes last year but are not convinced they had any positive effect.

What do others do to improve their chances of not being destroyed by these pests?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rick

Views: 1471 Replies: 2 Date: 2013-02-14T16:23:11.000Z
Result Count: 2

Tools

fredstir Soil Stomper

fredstir

Re: Pest prevention

Diatomecous earth spread around base for cutworms and the like  dusting the plant with the same. AND without a doubt  agribon 15 or a the heavier agribon 19 row covers.  You can leave the lighter 15 on the whole growing season to keep just about all the bugs out.  That's as organic as you can get.  But remember the plants that depend on the bees for polination have to be uncovered at blossom time.  google diatomaceous earth and agribon row covers.  You tube has a wealth of info and not many crackpots or jerks in vegetable garden etc searches. this is ALL  proactive which is what you want.  AS far as  whoa I see bugs  !  Now what.  Spinosad   or BT   benficial bacteria that attacks certain bugs totally safe or DE(diatomaceus earth)  which takes out just about  ALL bugs including bees but again totally safe earth type mineral.  Just make sure IT's FOOD GRADE  EPA approved for consumption.  Yup you  heard right you can eat it spread it on your pets for fleas and ticks. Farmers have been feeding to livestock etc for years.  How about sulphur as a fungicide??   And the list goes on and on.  Really depends on what your growing.  Give a shout on your plants and people will help.  And if you got the time   the internet and you tube.  There is a bunch of reputable sources of info.  University ag extensions  etc.   Just remember are they trying to sell you their product or volunteering sound info.  I'm stuck here in the midwest waiting for planting time with nothing to do  but research research research.!!!!!!!!

2013-02-15T06:21:27.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

ConsiderThis

Re: Pest prevention

I'm curious if birds eat them... Do you know?

Do you have many birds visit your garden?

One thing I've found is that less watering tends to bring more unhelpful bugs. I think the plants suffer and the bugs hear them... then come in droves to "finish them off".

http://www.health-boundaries-bite.com
Your fingernails reflect your health --
Learn some warning signs --
Karen Kline

2013-02-14T18:39:22.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 2