BarbKa Seedling

BarbKa

Strawberrys - Zone 9 - Florida - question for when it gets really hot

This is the first year that I am growing strawberries.    I bought 25 bare roots plants (Sweet Charlie - June Bearing) as soon as they were available this winter.  They are growing in containers - one plant per pot/container.   Not many had flowers, but I snipped off those that did as instructed.   It seems like the first year is for getting established.

I have searched but haven't found the answer regarding what to do with the plants when it gets really hot (June-mid October).    Any advice would be appreciated.    Also, when does strawberriy plants produce runners?

Views: 1707 Replies: 4 Date: 2013-02-13T02:29:18.000Z
Result Count: 4

Tools

pacmomof3 Soil Stomper

pacmomof3

Re: Strawberrys - Zone 9 - Florida - question for when it gets really hot

i live in arizona and my plants have done very well. they love the heat, just keep them well watered. they will thrive.

2013-07-08T16:22:12.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Sallyintucson

Sallyintucson

I live in AZ too but have never tried strawberrys. I would suggest partial shade for when it gets really hot.

2013-08-03T18:33:41.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

pacmomof3 Soil Stomper

pacmomof3

Strawberries love the sun most of the day. But you can always put up a tee-pee made of poles or wood and lay some light colored fabric for shadeing if you see signs of wilting but most of the time all you have to do is to water-water-water, early in the mornings or just at dusk to help prevent evaporation, also, you most likely will not produce very many berries this first year unless you get lots of blossoms and lots of pollunation from insects.

2013-08-06T08:57:24.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

Sweet Charlie is the most heat tolerant, if you can try and give them a little afternoon share during the hottest months. Keep their soil evenly moist but not wet.

2013-08-21T13:07:52.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 4