stargazer Soil Stomper

stargazer

hand pollinating

I have noticed less bes and insects around to pollinate my garden and also a reduction in produce. Any tips or trick that may help me? i'm going to try and do some hand pollinating this summer to see if this helps production.

Views: 2008 Replies: 4 Date: 2013-02-11T08:10:14.000Z
Result Count: 4

Tools

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: hand pollinating

You want to hand pollinate in the afternoon , when the pollen is ripe. You can use a black artist brush so you can see the pollen. Exam the flower you should see the stamens on the outside and the pistol on the inside. Carefully brush the stamens to pick up the pollen and then deposit it on the pistol. Do one species of plant at a time.

You should also think about plant some annuals to attract bees. Annuals like Borage ,Cornflower, Sunflower, Calendula, Cosmos,  and Marigold can attract bees to the garden. Bees like a variety of nectar plants.

2013-02-11T13:53:46.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

daisyman

What about hand pollinating corn?  I am trying your new patio corn and want to plant only about 9 corn plants at a time to give me a continuous supply from my small garden.

2013-02-14T14:18:33.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

gardensquared

I've enjoyed some success with hand polinating my eggplants.  Again like a previous comment suggested use a dark bristled brush.  I actaully wound up using make-up application brushes.  

Like many gardeners I have longed for bees and other polinators in my yard.  This last garden enjoyed a number of polinators, mostly because I let my Cilantro bloom.....bees, wasps, hover flies and other things I couldn't name were always buzzing around those tiny white blooms.

Native flowers have also made a difference in the number of bees in my yard.  Infact the, Stevia and Basil seem to have the same effect, although with fewer blooms

I just pray the which ever of my neighbors has the bees nest in their yard doesn't have a mind to destroy it!

I've also created two places in my yard for Mason Bees to lay their eggs.  I'll have to wait until Spring to find out if the one I put in last  year was of any benefit.

2013-02-14T14:55:54.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

daisyman

I have lavender in my yard and have plenty of bees.

2013-02-14T21:08:33.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 4