dirtdevil Soil Stomper

dirtdevil

containing tomato plants

Looking for inexspensive ideas on how to keep tomato

plants growing upright and off of the ground, without having to buy the cages.

Views: 2131 Replies: 4 Date: 2013-02-10T16:52:49.000Z
Result Count: 4

Tools

LovesAGarden

Re: containing tomato plants

Most of my indeterminate tomatoes are supported by expensive tall tomato ladders I purchased online.  But I wanted less expensive supports as I wanted to expand my tomato collection.  Last year I bought 2 inexpensive sturdy wooden garden stakes, 1.5 in x 1.5 in x 8 ft, and secured my tall heirloom tomatoes with plant ties.  It only works if you prune the suckers off and keep the plant to only one or maybe two main stems, but it worked well.  This year I'm reusing these wooden stakes and securing my tall tomato plants with "plant velcro" and garden twine.  To me, it's very easy and inexpensive.

2013-05-21T17:23:55.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

FlyingVGoddess

This only works for the bushy, determinate varieties.

My dad and step-mom didn't buy cages for their tomatoes. They bought 5-gallon paint buckets and cut out the bottom of each one. They dig the hole for their tomato, shove the edge of the bucket a couple inches into the ground so that the bucket is surrounding the hole, and then plant the tomato in the hole. According to them the plant stays upright and is supported by the bucket that surrounds the plant. I haven't seen it in action yet, but my parents grow this huge garden so they can sell vegetables on the roadside so I trust their judgement. When I visited them in January I saw the buckets being used for another purpose: at the end of the season they use them to protect their blueberry plants from the wind.

They bought red buckets, which cost twice as much as the plain white paint buckets. The idea being that the color red somehow promotes growth of tomato plants. But I don't see why one couldn't get away with using white buckets. I think a bucket would be around the price range of a large wire cage, but still way cheaper than some of the better supports seed companies sell and being that the plastic is fairly sturdy they should last a while.

2013-05-23T17:25:46.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

gardenmom

gardenmom

No need to buy 5 gal. buckets ask any restarant they get pickles etc. in buckets. I use mine for many things. storing potting soil, planters.drill a small hole in the bottom for a slow waterer.cut circles to protect small plants.etc.

2013-05-28T14:14:45.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

BrittW

I work long hours, so often the only time I get in the garden is after dark. I use several tiki torches to light my way and keep away mosquitoes, but the bamboo posts also serve as stakes for my tomatoes and peppers!

2013-08-11T02:01:36.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 4