dirtdevil Soil Stomper

dirtdevil

containing tomato plants

Does anybody have any inexpensive ideas on how to keep tomato plants growing upright and off the ground without having to buy the cages?

Views: 1683 Replies: 2 Date: 2013-02-10T16:45:30.000Z
Result Count: 2

Tools

FlyingVGoddess

Re: containing tomato plants

I've never tried this, but my dad and step-mom have in their garden. They grow produce in the summer for extra cash as well as sustaining themselves so I trust their advice.

For their determinate tomatoes they took a 5-gallon plastic paint bucket, cut out the bottom, and shoved the bucket---cut side down---into the soil a little around the plant. They said it propped up the plant better than those wire cages. They were also able to get red buckets, which red is said to help the growth of tomato plants. I've found the red buckets online for almost $5 a piece, but still cheaper than many of the heavy duty cages seed catalogs offer and possibly cheaper than making your own. And the buckets pull double duty: when I visited them last month they had the buckets over their blueberry and other small bushes to protect them from the harsh winds we had this winter.

2013-02-16T02:26:46.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

stargazer Soil Stomper

stargazer

Re: containing tomato plants

Hello.

I'm am not into the cages at all in my garden. I have found that I get good results by going to the lumber store and getting a presure treated 2" x 4" at which ever length you want. I used 8 footers. Then I just cut them into 4 or 6 pieces legthwise and have long stakes. just carve down one end. I use twine to tie the stalks to the pole. Not tightly loosely about evey 6-8 inches. Last summer my tomato plant grew 12 feet tall. I had to add onto my stakes. this year will either keep them trimmed down of use 12' 2x4. :) Good luck hope this is helpful.

2013-02-11T06:50:08.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 2