denise Seedling

denise

growing on a chain link fence

Hi, I have a chain link fence around my back yard and Id like to grow plants on it. Im zone 4 and was hoping to plant  both annuals (vegies) and perennials , my concern is that its in full sun and the metal fence will heat up and harm my plants. Has anyone found what plants would work well for this?

Views: 2535 Replies: 4 Date: 2013-02-08T01:49:09.000Z
Result Count: 4

Tools

Garden Guru

BrittW

Re: growing on a chain link fence

I grew up in an urban area with a very small yard, but the chain link that divided the lots was just brilliant for growing so many crops and plants! Cucumbers, raspberries, tomatoes, squash, peas, etc. Think of it like a long stretch of tomato cages which will support any plant that likes to "lean on" or climb on something. 

2013-08-11T02:49:05.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

Capnahab

I have never had any issues using the chain link fence as trellis.

2013-03-30T20:39:17.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

SueB123 Soil Stomper

SueB123

I once grew Morning Glories on my chain link fence and when I removed the vines at the end of the season it pulled off the galvanized finish and the fence rusted from that point forward.  I was alway sorry I did that, althought the flowers did decorate  the rather unattrative fence when in bloom.  Good luck.

2013-02-14T14:05:46.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Jwdowney

Jwdowney

The Plant will actualy keep the fence cool by shading it from he sun. The links don't normally get that hot because they have a small surface area and lots of ventilation. The top rails and posts are the hot ones. Grow a vine at the base of the posts and string it through the fence links. However veggies are hard to reach through the small holes. Good luck. 

2013-02-14T13:01:53.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 4