burpee Garden Guru

burpee

Winter projects for spring!

What can you do now to prep for Spring?

To be economical, have you ever tried upcycling things around the house to use as future plant markers?

Share your projects that you're working on or going to start for your spring garden!

Views: 3506 Replies: 2 Date: 2013-01-28T18:25:09.000Z
Result Count: 2

Tools

FlyingVGoddess

Re: Winter projects for spring!

I did try cutting up blinds and using them for plant markers, but found they kept bending when I tried getting them into the ground at the garden. When using them for seed starting plant markers they even blocked light from the seedling. So for seedlings I write the name of the plant right on the container. I did read in a book you can make plant makers with twigs----shave off a section of bark off the twig and write on the exposed area. I might have to try that.

Right now I have leek and onion seedlings started in the grow box. Its a little too early to be starting anything else. In the meantime I'm making seed tape out of packing paper...not just for the itty bity seedlings, but also the bigger ones like the beans. Yes, you can make seed tape with larger seeds (worked excellant with the corn I planted last year)...the seeds are perfectly spaced so there's no thinning required later (no seed is wasted) and it maybe takes 10 minutes to roll it out and plant it. :)

2013-01-29T23:01:05.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Grimm's

Grimm's

Re: Winter projects for spring!

Recycle blades from old mini blinds for plant markers!  Easy to write on and last.   Use the cords from the blinds for bean or sweet pea poles!

2013-01-29T18:29:37.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 2