tracy111 Soil Stomper

tracy111

vegetables Leeks

When I ordered some seeds from Gurneys they accidently sent me a package of Leek seeds. I have never grown these or even tasted them. Can anyone comment on whether I can use these like a green onion, do they have a similar flavor. I looked them up and they seem to be used in soup and stew recipes, Now the directions on planting say I am to make a deep furrow and then add dirt as they grow.  what would happen if I just planted them like a green onion?    Thank you for your help     Tracy

Views: 1522 Replies: 1 Date: 2013-01-27T17:26:05.000Z
Result Count: 1

Tools

FlyingVGoddess

Re: vegetables Leeks

A leek looks like a giant sized green onion. Their flavor is mildier than an onion...to me, they have a little bit of a hint of a garlic flavor. They don't have the slightly sharp bite green onions typically have. I have used them like I use green onions and sliced the green part thinly to top salads, soups, and baked potatoes. My main use for them is leek and potato soup. If you have any recipes that call for onions you can replace the onions with leeks.

This is the first year I've tried to grow them (right now they're seedlings in my grow box) so I don't have any personal wisdom on them. But I do know a little bit about growing them based on gardening books. The process of growing anything in a trench and burying the plant as it grows is called "blanching". I've only seen it done for celery and leeks. I've seen the same effect achieved by slipping cardboard tubes over the plants. In any case, the idea is to block sunlight from the lower half of the plant, which will turn your leeks white where they are buried. They say blanching makes the plant more succulant. By not blanching you're going to have less white than you would if you had blanched them.

http://sustainablegarden.blogspot.com/2009/11/blanching-leeks.html (here's a link that shows two leeks, one blanched and one that isn't)

I think a lot of gardeners grow them for a thicker stem, but I have read you can have thinner green onion sized leeks by spacing them 3-4" apart rather than 6-8".

2013-01-29T22:49:16.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 1