burpee Garden Guru

burpee

Seed Starting

Hello members!

Seed starting is upon us and we want to know:

What seeds is everyone growing indoors?

How do you normally start your seeds?  In a greenhouse, under a light, or even a sunny window?

Not sure how to go about starting seeds indoors?  We have a growing calendar to help you out with information regarding what seeds need to be started and when for your region!  http://www.burpee.com/gygg/growingCalendarNoZipCode.jsp

Views: 3606 Replies: 6 Date: 2013-01-23T14:39:31.000Z
Result Count: 6

Tools

Soil Stomper

tracy111

Re: Seed Starting

I have started my tomatoes in the house on my kitchen table. Last year I just relied on the bright light from a west windnow, but my plants were too leggy this year I have a grow light. Someone told me that after they have a few true leaves to turn a fan on and that the blowing might make them more sturdy and the stalks might grow a little thicker. I am trying to get mine to be like what you buy at the lawn and garden stores. I will also try pinching them back a little bit to see if that will help thicken the stalk. I know it worked with the petunias, it almost killed me to cut the buds off but the end result was amazing. Way thicker plant with tons of flowers. I will be starting the peppers in a couple of weeks. I am trying the grow coir with worm castings, and have added some bone meal and in larger pots to try to not have to transplant into bigger pots before I plant outside. Any thoughts on this. Thanks Tracy

2013-01-23T17:43:39.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

DonnaV

DonnaV

I always use a domed seed flat to provide humidity and put the tray on a warming cable.   As soon as the seed sprout I put them under flourescent lights.  They are cooler and the lights can be put almost right on top of the seedlings. I ususally start all my vegetable plants, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes and my annual seed.  The perennial seed usually don't require the heating cable but they require light. I usually get very consistant seed sprouting this way by managing the soil temperature.

2013-01-24T20:25:03.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

FlyingVGoddess

Right now I'm starting leeks and onions. Its way too early in my area to be starting anything else.

I grew them in the closet and on wire shelves underneath lights with so-so results at best (until they got into the garden and died). Last year I didn't have the space to set up this light system and wasn't going to seed start, but then the Walmart I worked at had got their seed displays in early and I got the seed starting bug. I got the idea for my current set up from an old gardening magazine where one of the reader's tips was to germinate seedlings in a clear plastic storage bin before moving them underneath lights. I thought "Why not have the lights inside the storage bin?"

I bought a 25-gallon Sterlite storage bin (later upgraded to a 35-gallon). Before installing the lights (which are just standard 18" under cabinet lights) I lined entire inside of the bin and underneath the lid with foil tape to reflect the light. I installed 2 2x4 18" length boards on the inside towards the top and attached the lights underneath. Originally the boards were screwed in place, but this year I attached hinges to the boards and attached the hinges to the bin using bolts so I can lift up the lights and have easier access to plants.

It was just a way to have a seed starting set up with limited space. I have a new place with a second bedroom that I can do my projects in, but the set up worked so well that I made two more! It gets humid and hot in there so its really good for germination and heat loving plants like tomatoes and peppers. I don't need expensive heat mats and I don't have to water quite as often. The only thing I have to do is water when its needed (which I have gone up to a week without watering) and making sure it gets some air circulation (easily remidied with a fan). And I had awesome plants last year. The only thing its not good for is cool season crops---but I guess that's what cold frames are for. Right now half of my leeks have sprouted and its only been 10 days (most came up a few days ago)...the packet said 14-21 days for germination. I've found the majority lot of plants I have started in this set up germinate faster than any other set up.

The picture shows last year's set up about half way through the seed starting season. Notice the tomatoes in the peat pots....huge mistake. I never had luck with not having mold grow on the peat pots in the other set ups and the humid set up only made it worse.

2013-01-24T22:28:07.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Greenthumb37

Greenthumb37

I have always had BAD luck getting pepper seads to do anything. I will get anywhere from 3 seeds to none to come up. Have great luch with anything else that grows. I have planted them out side when and have poor luck when the waether and soil warmed up. HELP!!!!!

2013-01-28T19:12:47.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Mta214 Green Thumb

Mta214

I do the same thing as DonnaV with the dome, grow light and heating mat.

2013-03-07T16:36:04.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

Capnahab

The calendar on the website and the calendar in the Burpee iPhone app have different dates ror the same zip code. Have called Burpee customer service about this and they could not help with the issue. Would like someone from Burpee to post here who I should contact about this. Thanks

2013-03-30T12:57:21.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 6