tracy111 Soil Stomper

tracy111

Peppers are too hot!!!!

I am trying to figure out why my peppers are so hot. Last year I grew Cherry Bomb which are suppose to be about 20% less hot then a jalepeno. My son eats hot peppers and he took a bite out of this Cherry bomb and it was so hot he couldn't hardly stand it. But yet the ones in his garden which I had also grew those plants were not as hot but still hotter then they should be. I have read that raddishes take a lot of water in order to not be so hot, is it the same for peppers? Someone had told me that my soil sounds like it is too acidic, but that is not the case because my soil is alkaline.  Thank you for the good info for whoever answers...... tracy

Views: 2301 Replies: 4 Date: 2013-01-16T20:43:49.000Z
Result Count: 4

Tools

Green Thumb

mikeburch3

Re: Peppers are too hot!!!!

this is weird...i have gotten jalapenos off of the same bush...some were very hot...some were barely hot....i like em the hotter the better...even have 4 ghost pepper plants ...Now there are some very,very hot peppers...which I like a lot...I have sarcoidosis...which has effected my taste..kinda numb around my mouth,and tongue...soooo hot peppers do not bother me so much..but the ghost peppers will hurt you if you are not careful...i am sorry that i do not have an explanation as to why some peppers are so much hotter than others...but i will ask the university of florida hort. dept that question...mike b

2013-01-16T23:00:35.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

FlyingVGoddess

I've read a couple articles on peppers that seem to suggest that over watering the peppers will make them less hot. Makes sense as peppers originate from hot and dry climates. So you might be right on the money with peppers being similar to radishes and getting hotter with less watering.

2013-01-18T03:03:39.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Green Thumb

mikeburch3

Hello...tracy111...the chemical that makes peppers hot is called capsaicin..and is related to chemicals called capsaicinoids..hence the more capsaicin...the hotter the pepper..The heat of a pepper may vary from pepper to pepper..depending on the age of the pepper and the climate it is growing in.or even the part of the pepper that is being eaten...Capsaicin is concentrated mostly in the seeds and veins (ribs) of the pepper...peppers with more seeds have more heat...less seeds less heat...Soil and weather(water) can effect the quality of the pepper...remember peppers(jalapenos) used to be grown in the deserts of New Mexico,and Mexico.....ones grown in milder,wetter climates usually have less heat...I hope this explains a little as to why some peppers are hotter than other peppers ....so perhaps the cherry peppers you grew last year were grown with more water,and milder temperatures than the ones you grew last...good luck...don't give up.....mike b

2013-01-18T14:59:56.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Doright Soil Stomper

Doright

I am confused - Mike says hotter drier climate - hotter peppers.  Scotch Bonnets and Habeneros come from the Caribbean with plenty of rain and humidity and are the hottest peppers in the world.

2013-02-13T00:07:58.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 4