tracy111 Soil Stomper

tracy111

lasagne gardening

I would like to try lasagne gardening for potatoes. I read to put several layers of non colored newspaper on bottom and lay my seed potato on top and then cotinue with aged hay, compost and on. My question is instead of newspaper can I use egg crates, not the styraphoam ones but the ones that are biodegradable? Thank you for the info      tracy

Views: 2350 Replies: 5 Date: 2013-01-16T15:55:15.000Z
Result Count: 5

Tools

FlyingVGoddess

Re: lasagne gardening

I don't know a whole lot about the lasagna gardening technique, but my concern would be that the cardboard egg containers would be hard to break down into the soil and wick away water from roots. 

2013-01-18T04:53:43.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

You can use cardbord for the bottom later this layer is used for smothering the weeds, it is the base.

2013-01-18T18:08:38.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

tracy111

I just thought with the egg crates (which are the big ones that you buy 5 dozen eggs in) anyway I thought if I smashed them down flat that that would be like cardboard or newspaper to kiil the weeds and crabgrass and then start my other layers. I don't understand what the difference would be using these or newspaper or cardboard as they all hold water.  I would love your input.  Thank you  Tracy

2013-02-01T18:02:00.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

jtdamomma

jtdamomma

As long as its covering the ground, in a solid fashion, not too thick, yet not thinner than sheets of newsprint, you should be ok.  Its used to smother any weed seeds from germinating, and then biodegrade.  I see no reason, not to use it.

2013-02-04T15:23:26.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

GrammaSunny

Tracy.... I did a lasagna garden in a hay bale garden the fall before I intended to plant.... I used the large pressed paper egg crates plus cardboard at the bottom  & then layeered the newpaper, old straw, compost, etc.  The cardboard & egg crates blocked the weeds but theowrms loved them and burrowed thru & helped the garden.... that bed is the most killer environment & everything wsoutstanding. It takes a while for everything to break down & the worms help the process. The raised bed that I merely covered with cardboard & egg cartons for the winter (to keep out the neighbor cat who thought it a lovely new litter box) did not break down over the winter but were just starting to.... but there were no worms or other ingredients on top.

2013-03-26T19:15:02.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 5