winemaker Soil Stomper

winemaker

Bug free Apples

I am looking for a way to control the worms in my fruit. I ahve tried the milk jugs with a banana skin, vinegar, sugar and water for the past three years. Is seems like all this has done is increased the worm damage. I have honey bees so I have to be careful on what I use. Does anyone have any help in this problem?

Views: 2894 Replies: 5 Date: 2013-01-15T21:31:03.000Z
Result Count: 5

Tools

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: Bug free Apples

You need to contact your County Extension Service, not only will they give you a recommendations for your area. They can provide you with a spray schedule.

2013-01-18T18:12:17.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

winemaker Soil Stomper

winemaker

Have you another idea. I have checked with the Extension Office and have found no help there. It seemed like they knew less that I did. Thank you for your help.

2013-01-20T15:16:06.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

FlyingVGoddess

Other than the traps you've tried and failed with, I've read planting white clover will attract beetles that eat codling moths and the fly that lays eggs of the apple maggot. I'm not sure of its effectiveness, but if traps haven't worked then trying to attract the worm's enemy might be worth a shot. In any case, with either pest its important to remove any fallen apples or they could become worm resevoirs. 

2013-01-21T07:43:10.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Canoerick Soil Stomper

Canoerick

The best way to keep the bugs off the apples is to place a clear plastic bag over the freshly set fruit and tie a twisty around the end of the bag, around the stem.  The problem is that it will be hard to grow enough apples for a 5 gallon batch of wine!

2013-04-17T02:52:44.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Raygina

Raygina

This year I'm trying the Bonide  fruit tree concentrate spray. It's not harmful to bees as long as you don't spray when they are around. I sprayed every tree in the orchard with it before they bloomed. Hopefully it works as we've got a serious infestation of coddling moths.

I also ordered some traps but we got six inches of snow after I put them up so I'm not counting on them to work well. have you tried a dormant oil?  

2013-05-06T20:16:24.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 5