mikeburch3 Green Thumb

mikeburch3

tomato seedlings

I have planted 8 flats of tomato seeds @ 48 cells per flat...so far about 80 seeds have germinated.....after 4 days.... I have planted all Burpee seeds...mortgage lifter,red october,jubilee,brandy boy,cherokee purple,sandwich slicer,super beefsteak,....are there any other varieties that will do good here in Ocala,Florida??????I have also planted a row of burpees pok choi...and a row of burpees white radishes....both rows of pok choi and radishes have germinate ,,again after 4 days.....we have been having some warm days here in Ocala...highs in the upper 70's..night time lows down to about 60 degrees...i am going to pick up about 6-8 yards of oak leaves to mulch my garden with...i plan on putting about of that mulch into a large garbage can and then use my weedeater to chop them up into small particles..it will take me several days to do this ..them i am going to incorporate those chopped up leaves along with composted cow manure,and several (4-5) bags o peatmoss into my existing sandy soil in an attempt to improve the soil...do you guys think that will help me ?????i am doing this in the area where i plan on transplanting my tomatoes...about 48 plants in all...the rest of the seedlings are going to my brothers house...and to anybody here in silver springs shores that woul like some plants for their garden.....we have been harvesting collards,cabbages,and lettuce to the point where my family has said enough all ready...soo i have been giving away cabbage,collards,and lettuce to neighbors...it is fun to see their faces lightup upon recieving fresh produce...that is very rewarding especially for my elderly neighbors living on a fixed income....have't written in in a long time...it is good to be feeling better and able to get out more...THANKS BURPEE...YOU FOLKS ARE THE GRASTEST.....HAPPY GARDENING...mike burch

Views: 2122 Replies: 3 Date: 2013-01-15T17:15:13.000Z
Result Count: 3

Tools

FlyingVGoddess

Re: tomato seedlings

Whoa thats a lot of tomato seedlings!

Adding organic amendments should help with your sandy soil. Though instead of putting the oak leaves in a garbage can and weed whacking it to chop them into small bits I would use a lawn mower and run them over...even better if the mower has one of those bag attachments to catch the leaf bits.

Totally jealous of your harvest, by the way. Up here in Wisconsin we have to wait until at least mid-April before we can put anything into the ground. Got a bit of the gardening fever and I can't plant a thing! lol.

2013-01-16T05:54:42.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Green Thumb

mikeburch3

flyinggoddess...thank you for your input...did not even think about using my lawnmomer...which would be soooooo much easier...had about 150 mre seedlings come up...now I plan on ordering more seeds from Burpees...bell pepper seeds,..jalapeno pepper seeds,Poblamo pepper seeds,and serrano pepper seeds...cosmos hybrid yellow squash,..Burpee hybrid zucchine squash,..gourmet gold hybrid zucchini squash.....burpee pickler hybrid cucumber,andpicklebush cucumber...and maybe bush sugar baby watermelon...that should pretty much do it....once again thanks...flying goddess....

2013-01-16T22:52:18.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

FlyingVGoddess

The Walmart I work at set up their Burpee displays a week ago and most of the things I wanted they had. So I bought a bunch of seeds. Think I bought about ten packets plsu ordered a few things off the website. Might get more....maybe. Plus got onion seeds from Jungs (only because Burpee didn't have the amount or type I wanted). Been making seed tape for the carrots, bunching onions, lettuce, beans, and peas...I hate thinning and got multiple 18 foot rows planned out so hence the seed tapes in progress. Got leeks started in the grow box and tonight---if I ever get to it---I'll seed start the bulbing onions. Getting impatient with the leeks even though they take 14-21 days to germinate. Think I got a bit of the garden fever. Got one of those forced hynacynths from the store just to tide me over for the time being....fiance HATES the pretty yet overpowering scent of it. 

2013-01-18T04:41:30.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 3