burpee Garden Guru

burpee

Top 10 Reasons to Dig In with Kids
  1. Grow a new gardener. Studies show that gardeners are twice as likely as non-gardeners to have gardened with parents. Getting kids into the garden at a young age can help grow  the next generation of gardeners.
  2. Encourage healthy eating. The bigger role kids have in growing fruits and vegetables, the more likely they are to maintain healthy habits as an adult. Encourage eating nutritious foods by experimenting with new textures, flavors and herbs.
  3. Get active. Digging, hauling and weeding can be a lot of work! Break a sweat and get some light exercise by gardening with the family. Be sure to practice proper lifting techniques to avoid any injury.
  4. Spend time together. Share the gardening experience with kids and build lasting memories. Be sure to get kids their own gardening gear – small gloves, mini-watering cans and tiny trowels will help them feel involved in the action.
  5. Express your creative side. Let kids get crafty with plant markets, decorated pots, cuisine gardens and more. Finger paint, glitter glue, ribbon and wire are fair game – even in the garden!
  6. Enjoy the outdoors. Get away from the television, computer and video games and enjoy some fresh air and sunshine.
  7.  Learn about nature. What do plants need to produce flowers and fruit? How do butterflies and bees help the garden? Where does my salad come from? Teach kids about the importance of a balanced ecosystem through a family garden.
  8.  Teach life lessons. Sharing responsibility of garden chores and ownership of a plant’s success can teach valuable life lessons to children of all ages. Not to mention, hard work and dedication builds character.
  9.  Create a sense of community. Gardeners love sharing gardening successes and stories. Help kids cultivate relationships with fellow gardeners, including grandparents, neighbors and friends who also garden to create special bonds and a sense of membership in a special gardening community.
  10.  Have FUN. What is more fun that digging in the dirt, getting dirty and splashing in the sprinkler? Enjoy every minute of your time outdoors in the garden.

Help us add to our list! Why do you garden with your kids?

Views: 6415 Replies: 10 Date: 2012-06-05T09:33:33.000Z
Result Count: 10

Tools

mattamuskeetmom

Re: Top 10 Reasons to Dig In with Kids

Gardening with my boys is probably one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.  I just started gardening about 4 years ago, and it is amazing the lessons that the boys and I learn every day.  They are 6, 4, and 19 months, and they love having their hands in the dirt and watching things grow.  We have lessons on environmental science, biology, agriculture, sustainability, social and community responsibility, and soon to be entrepreneurism.  They never fight about eating their vegetables because they are "their" vegetables.  The garden imparts this sense responsilbilty to them, which at their young ages, is amazing to behold.  They told me that they never want to buy anything from the grocery store again, and we are working hard to keep those purchases to a minimum!  I started a blog about living sustainably and gardening (baking, preserving, and soon to be selling at the Farmer's Market!) with three boys, and you are welcome to visit it at mattamuskeetmomma.blogspot.com 

2012-06-12T05:38:31.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

TosaRover

Becasue they enjoy shopping for the seeds, selecting something that speaks uniquely to them like corn, beans, etc. Each of my kids selects different things to plant. It teaches them to take care of something other than themselves. The check-in throughout the growing season and love to run into the house with the fruit of their labor. Usually they cannot stand to wait until it is ripe. Just had some green strawberries that they pulled off the plant to show me!

2012-06-06T14:39:21.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

gardenmama

My almost two year old loved digging in the dirt. I use the opportunity to teach her colors. As the season progresses, we will have more and more colors to learn.

2012-06-06T07:52:58.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

wbmom13

wbmom13

To teach making good choices, decisions and responsibility - what plants/seeds grow well in what conditions, is it more economical to buy plants or seeds, how important is it to water and weed. All while spending time together and having fun!

2012-06-05T12:10:01.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

ebbegonia

I am SO excited to get my 3-year old nieces into the garden for the first time. They are like little sponges right now and want to know how everything works. I can't wait to see what intersts them most in the garden (and how big of a mess we'll make). Wink Any tips for first timers would be much appreciated!

2012-06-05T12:00:32.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

CarrotChick

Gardening with kids also teaches perspective – for adults AND children. There’s nothing more rewarding than seeing the look on a young child’s face once they realize the food from the grocery store starts out on a plant. Those real-world realizations don’t happen in the classroom, and as adults, it’s refreshing to see that look of pure awe and amazement!

2012-06-05T11:45:56.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Mairie

Mairie

It gives us a great opportunity to share time together, get dirty, enjoy the sun and reap the benefits from our garden. Nothing tastes better than sun warmed vegetables we nurtured and protected throughout the growing season. There is a chance to continue the practices passed from parent to child and hope the legacy continues for future generations.

2012-06-05T11:29:50.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

BenStoz

BenStoz

As the father of very active 3 and 4 year old boys, I can say in addition to all the reasons above, it also helps them burn off a ton of energy thru digging, pulling weeds etc...  Years later I now realize why my mom had me spend so much time in the garden.  This is our first growing season at our new house and we have spent a ton of time together creating new garden spaces, prepping the soil and planting.

2012-06-05T10:10:17.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

momteach

momteach

Spend time together while outside getting dirty!  Also, to teach responsibility and the benefits of eating healthy.

2012-06-05T10:07:41.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

momforrest Soil Stomper

momforrest

To teach patience.  Nothing takes more patience than waiting for the veggies to grow. It teaches my kids that waiting and watching can have as much gratification as having something right now.

2012-06-05T10:02:40.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 10