MandyM Soil Stomper

MandyM

Rose bush care

I need some advice on how to care for a rose bush that I have in my front yard. I'm not sure when and how much to trim and it seems to stop flowering fairly early in the summer.  I also have issues with Japanese beetles eating the leaves so any advice on keeping those away would be helpful as well.

Views: 6113 Replies: 4 Date: 2012-02-13T07:36:34.000Z
Result Count: 4

Tools

BurpeeGuestAcco

BurpeeGuestAcco

Re: Rose bush care

Prune the plants back by 1/3rd and thin out the dead branches.  This can be done in early Spring before the plants leaf out.  Beetles can be controlled with japanese beetle traps.

2012-02-16T09:17:06.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

gardengrandma

gardengrandma

I have found the best way to control Japanese beetles is to hand pick them (or shake them) off the plant into a pitcher 1/3 full of water into which I have squirted one or two squirts of liquid dishwashing soap. In 2012 my husband and I picked off over 100 beetles a day from three rose bushes. In 2013 we only had 20 - 30 per day during the beetle season. I am hoping for less in 2014. Perhaps we have disrupted their breeding cycle. I also poured a mild soap solution over the ground at the base of the bush since I heard the beetles breed in the soil.

2013-12-28T13:35:35.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

Japanese beetle populations can be somewhat cyclic-  some years they are much worse than others.  The best control of local populations is to get them before they pupate (mature and emerge) in your lawns.  How you choose to control insects in your lawns is a matter of preference (there are organic and non organic methods).  There are populations that will migrate in from other areas:  these should be hand picked to reduce the number of mating beetles.  A word of caution about beetle traps:  they can attract in these migratory populations and I do not think anyone wants more beetles in their area!  Happy gardening!

2014-01-08T15:06:36.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

BrittW

If Japanese beetles are a problem, milky spore can be used in the area and is supposed to practically eliminate these pests for several years. 

2014-03-15T21:27:45.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 4