Dabbler Soil Stomper

Dabbler

What to do with Perennials in Fall

Okay - so I have cut back the echinacea and the hostas.  What about my other perennials?  Grasses and things?  Do I leave them 'as is'?  Do I remove them?  What about my daylilies?  Also - when is the best time to divide and replant them?  I live in Chicago.

Views: 6943 Replies: 4 Date: 2011-11-08T13:45:13.000Z
Result Count: 4

Tools

aggiegrad

aggiegrad

Re: What to do with Perennials in Fall

I'm coming in late to this answer, but, by now you should know that your hydranga is fine. as long as you have living roots, any perennial will do it's best to keep living & come back in the spring. if the roots die then you won't see it again. I often plant just the roots of plants that lose the tops. you never know unless you try, but, I've had good luck with my plants coming back just from the roots. in fact, I just planted some new roots from some plants just today. they probably won't do anything this year, but they should be coming up next year. even if you cut back your plants to the ground, as long as you have the roots in the ground they will be fine.

2012-04-26T16:07:55.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

MandyM

Will it kill the perennial if they were cut back before they died down? I'm worried that I cut back my Hydrangia too soon.

2012-02-13T07:27:11.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

bwlservs

bwlservs

I always leave my perennials alone in the fall, seeds will naturally drop and grow new plants, birds will eat some seeds left on plants and tall, bushy grasses and plants allow for a little cover for them to hide or nest.  Early in the spring the dead stalks and grasses should pull away easily to allow air and sun to circulate around the base and let new growth begin.  Daylilies can be done in the spring or fall, if you do it in the spring it may be more difficult to see where you want to put new one's, I find in the fall I can see places better that need some filling in.

Bonnie on beach Ont Can

2012-01-19T13:10:06.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Horticulturist

Do not cut the perennials back until they die down. Some people cut the grasses back as soon as they die. Others wait until late winter to cut the grasses back because they like the look of the brown grass in the winter. It doesn’t seem to make a difference. Most of the perennials want to be divided in the early spring.

2011-11-09T07:51:46.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 4