burpee Garden Guru

burpee

How do you keep bugs away?

Entertaining outdoors in the summer is a great way to get fresh air and enjoy the garden, but keeping bugs like mosquitoes, bees and flies away from guests can be tough.

What's your home remedy to keep the bugs away?

Views: 5284 Replies: 6 Date: 2012-06-15T08:07:59.000Z
Result Count: 6

Tools

onions55 Soil Stomper

onions55

Re: How do you keep bugs away?

Well I usually take a couple of big citronella plants, and stick them out on my patio. They smell great, and look pretty cool too. I don't know if they really do too much for the bugs, but I know they are supposed to.

2012-06-15T08:26:01.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Mx3Mommy

Mx3Mommy

In the Spring and Summer months, I choose to eat a diet that is high in garlic to deflect biting insects away from me and my family and onto sweeter targets. I protect my pets this way as well. While I feel sorry for our neighbors, because this is a truly effective recourse - I am thankful to have the pests stay away.

2012-06-15T12:13:54.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Lillybug

Lillybug

I try to choose plants that are less attractive to them. I avoid cabbages in my raised bed garden. I mix those in with large pots of flowers. So I enjoy the beauty of a red cabbage everytime I pass the door and they seem to hang out better with flowers than other veggies. 

I also plant my beans a little later and bypass the heavy eating of mexican beetles. This year though it was so warm so early that I did not follow my own advice and planted those Blue Lakes early. So I resort to picking bugs off and  to companion planting. 

Either way. Isn't garden work just wonderful?

2012-06-20T04:47:49.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Lillybug

Lillybug

I try to choose plants that are less attractive to them. I avoid cabbages in my raised bed garden. I mix those in with large pots of flowers. So I enjoy the beauty of a red cabbage everytime I pass the door and they seem to hang out better with flowers than other veggies. 

I also plant my beans a little later and bypass the heavy eating of mexican beetles. This year though it was so warm so early that I did not follow my own advice and planted those Blue Lakes early. So I resort to picking bugs off and  to companion planting. 

2012-06-20T04:48:02.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Lillybug

Lillybug

2012-06-20T04:48:50.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

JerseyGardener

I spray a lot of DEET!  Although I learned this year that the Off Woodsman's spray can damage plants!  It has a higher DEET content 30% vs the traditional orange can that is 10%.  I sprayed near my broccoli and the spray bleached the plant with white spots!

2012-08-07T17:45:41.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 6