md4msu Seedling

md4msu

August Lillies blooming?

I have several August Lillies(the foliage looks just like Hostas) that are not blooming. Any ideas to encourage blooming? Unfortunately they are not in full sun---maybe half a day. I keep them well watered and fertilized.

Views: 4221 Replies: 3 Date: 2012-08-19T05:41:35.000Z
Result Count: 3

Tools

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: August Lillies blooming?

Without seeing them there could be several different factors affected the lack of bloom. Although they like the shade too much shade will prevent them from flowering. They like well drained soil it there is too much moisture in the soil the roots will rot. You did not say if the plants look healthy but fungal disease with prevent the flowering. Also, it the plants were recently transplanted or if they are overcrowded they may not flower.

2012-08-20T06:26:01.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

SusieQ'sGarden

What are August Lilies?  I'm in Z5, north of Lima, Oh, have been gardening for years, purchase plants in this general area as well as through several websites and never heard of them.

2014-01-31T13:40:26.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

August blooming lilies are lilies from the Genus Lilium, not to be confused with daylilies from the Genus Hemerocallis; they include, but are not limited to,   Asiatic and Oriental (Stargazer) lilies.  They usually list as early, mid and late season blooming but actual flowering can be affected by where you grow them and the conditions of a particular season.  August blooming lilies can bloom as early as June and as late as September.

August lilies can be two different plants:  the bulb Lycoris squamigera (also commonly known as Surprise or Resurrection Lily) or Hosta plantaginea 'Grandiflora'.  Lycoris squamigera produces long, daffodil-like foliage in spring and sends up a pink lily-like flowers on naked stems in August well- after the foliage has died back.  Hosta plantaginea 'Grandiflora' is a solid-green leaved hosta of generous size that sends up incredibly fragrant white lily-like flowers in August.  

2014-02-04T17:39:34.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 3