daldricht Soil Stomper

daldricht

Planting

On any packets of seeds or instructions to start planting in a garden - distances are fairly precise. What happens if you plant them slightly tighter?

Views: 3803 Replies: 2 Date: 2012-02-09T18:17:50.000Z
Result Count: 2

Tools

DeesPeas

Re: Planting

When my sprouts are too close and or too many I thin them out. My Georgia collards sprouted very quick!  My organic cauliflower are also sprouting:) I planted peas in a pot. Can't wait until they are sprouting!

2012-03-01T15:32:33.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

PA-Gardner

PA-Gardner

Re: Planting

Depends on the plant.  Usually, the seed companies have done research to determine the optimal distance for plant health and for flower or fruit production, while taking into account that some seeds will fail to germinate, will die, will be eaten by birds, etc.  So, you can spread closer, or further, but it may, or may not get you good results.  Some plants like to be huddled togehter like a cluch of day old chicks under the brooder light.  Others, want/need their space.  Zinnia, for instance, are often plagued with a grey mold that forms on their leaves, detracting from their beauty.  Planting too close restricts airflow around the leaves and increases the potential for mold, or for it spreading even to other plants.

Here's a funny story on myself in reguard to this......  I'd never had sugar peas until attending a work-required retreat at a Quaker retreat center in mid 1970's.  They served these delicately steamed pods for our dinner, about 1 hour after they were picked from their own garden.  I thought I'd gone to the highest heaven!  I'd never taseted anything so fresh and green and tender, though I was no stranger to farm fresh produce!  The next year I had opportunity to plant a garden at my 200-yr old rental home.  I knew before the snow thawed I wanted to grow "snow peas."  Well, I knew nothing about planting a garden, and nothing about planting peas in particular, but having as yet no tools and no skills, my landlords had assured me they would use their tractor to till the ground for me to plant a garden, "when it was time."  We had a cool wet spring and plowing wasn't done for me til late May or early June.  I found some bulk seeds at a local store and bought 1/4 lb.  there were no instructions 'cause everyone there knew what they were and how to plant'em.  (I'd never seen any vegetable grow but corn and wheat in fields.)  It never occurred to me I should READ or ASK about HOW to plant them or when.  I just assumed, (I know, I know...) that with the smippets I was hearing about tomatoes and peppers and beans, that it wasn't yet time for peas either.  I planted those little Grey Marvel peas 1" deep and 6" apart, in LATE JUNE!!!  Well, needless to say, I've laughed at myself, and helped many others laugh at me too with that "growing experience."  I was able to find some sugar peas to BUY at a grocery store that year, since my 4, 2-pea pods didn't match my hearty appetite for that delicacy that year.  I know know they are to be planted early as possible in spring (St Pat's day is good), 1/2" deep, and close together--about 1 inch in 2 rows a couple inches apart.  I've had many wonderful harvests, but only a few have come close to that first meal!

2012-02-10T20:59:38.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 2