GAGreenGardener Seedling

GAGreenGardener

Compost

Here is a picture of second graders at Germantown Academy making compost for the vegetable and herb gardens at school.  They are mixing leaves, vegetables and fruit from the cafeteria and manure in order to make the compost.  When the temperature reaches 65 C they will turn the compost.  They are keeping track of the temperature everyday.  The heat will kill the pathogens and seeds.  The compost will be come soil in 21 days.  The students were assisted by Dr Elaine Inghams and Richard Mitchell from the Rodale Institute.

Views: 2751 Replies: 2 Date: 2012-10-28T05:38:26.000Z
Result Count: 2

Tools

Green_Buddha3

Green_Buddha3

Re: Compost

What are some do's and don'ts of compost. I am looking to start my own. Can I put it in a garbage bin and be fine? 

2013-04-02T13:57:50.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Mta214 Green Thumb

Mta214

Re: Compost

Green-Buddha, my compost pile is just that - a pile.  I don't have a designated bin for it because they are out of my budget.  I don't know if you could use a garbage pail or not. The pile does need to be turned every so often.  Two things that I heard are no-no's in terms of composting are never put any meat products or citrus products in the pile.  I've read that the compost pile needs to have water added to it regularly, but I only do that when the weather is nice enough.  Hope that helps.

Mary

2013-04-05T20:18:07.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 2