NewbieGardener Green Thumb

NewbieGardener

How to store basil?

How do I store basil after it is picked? I grew one Summerlong Basil plant this year and I have so much basil that I don't know what to do with it.

Views: 8862 Replies: 4 Date: 2011-08-23T07:33:32.000Z
Result Count: 4

Tools

BurpeeGuestAcco

BurpeeGuestAcco

Re: How to store basil?

The logs will be about 9 ichnes deep, placed on top of the many small rocks we have and then back filled with dirt. I've never found logs cut this way to be slippery, and because we are in the high desert it would be hard for moss to grow on anything. We have to water our gardens no less than four times per day to keep them from drying out completely and beginning to crack. We don't even have moss on the logs rotting in the forest :)

2012-02-27T14:58:47.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

BurpeeGuestAcco

BurpeeGuestAcco

Do you have some good old-fashioned ice trays?  You can also freeze basil in stock, water, or tomato sauce.  Use 1 teaspoon  or 1 tablespoon per cube, fill with one of the above and freeze.  When frozen transfer to a freezer bag or other container labeled with amount, type liquid and date.  Just pull out the cubes and pop them in the pot when you're ready to cook.  Make sure you adjust your cooking liquid accordingly if using a lot of cubes. 

This works with any herb, but they can only be used for cooking.

You can also just freeze the leaves once you've cleaned them.

With the price of herbs today, make up gift baskets at Christmas with your extra dried herbs in pretty containers.  The cooks in your life will adore you!

2012-02-26T09:38:13.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

HazelFyrebird

HazelFyrebird

I usually use the basil in various dishes fresh during the growing season, and make a big batch of pesto to freeze when the season's done.  I've not had much luck drying basil, because I'm in a very humid area near the coast.  Freezing basil on its own tends to blacken it, but in pesto, it keeps its color.

2012-01-10T08:34:23.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

sg1friz

What work for Us was to cut the branches off and hang them by a string upside down in a dark closet. when dried pick the leaves crush or leave whole store in a recycled glass jar.

2011-11-18T06:46:04.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 4