klanedoc9 Soil Stomper

klanedoc9

Growing Basil in apartment

I live in an apartment, but luckily have a nice balcony.  I'd like to try growing some basil out there.  Any recommendations or ideas for someone who has a small space like myself?  And I've never grown anything either Cool

Views: 6071 Replies: 2 Date: 2012-01-27T12:58:20.000Z
Result Count: 2

Tools

honeybee

honeybee

Re: Growing Basil in apartment

Give it a try !!  Basil (and other herbs) must have a sunny location (5-6 hours of sun per day).   You could try other herbs in a container too.  Parsley, mint, oregano, & thyme.   You can either try to start them from seed or buy an already started plant at your local nursery. 

2012-01-28T07:25:53.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

BurpeeGuestAcco

BurpeeGuestAcco

Re: Growing Basil in apartment

You could plant enough herbs for your own use pretty easily.  Look for globe basil and a determinant (bush type as opposed to long vining) tomato and you'll have great pesto!  Plant some mint in a hanging basket and put some sage and rosemary in large pot with some marigolds (to attract beneficial insects) and you'll have more herbs than you can use.  The advantage of pots is that you can bring your plants inside when it gets cold and keep using them all winter.  Just place them in front of a sunny window.

2012-02-29T06:45:06.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 2