burpee Garden Guru

burpee

Maintaining Flowers

Hello Burpee Community Members!  We want to hear your thoughts and opinions.  What have you found to be the easiest and/or toughest flower varieties to grow and maintain?

Views: 3432 Replies: 4 Date: 2012-07-26T12:45:11.000Z
Result Count: 4

Tools

Soil Stomper

zafooo

Re: Maintaining Flowers

LaughingMarigolds.  I think they are the hardiest annuals, i grow tons of them every year and in some places i don't replant them after the winter, because they come up thmselves from the tons of seeds in the dead heads that grow! but i would suggest the smaller varieties because i planted the happy days mix from burpee, and after a few years of self planting, they got huge and very tall, and more foliage than flowers, but then in the fall they got nicer.  marigolds are tough plants, and i find that they don't get too much of a transplanting shock, most times they don't get it at all, and if they do wilt a little bit, a little water brings them right back to life.  Marigolds can also make a very nice hedge.  Begonias are also very tough, in my opinion, and i find that very hot days, with little water, doesn't realy bother them!!!

2012-07-26T15:59:27.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

NewYorkMillet

Petunias are pretty easy to maintain. However, i've been having issues with mine because of the lack of rain. However, just water a couple times a week and you're all set - for the most part. And they're really pretty!

2012-07-27T08:35:18.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

JerseyGardener

I love zinneas, but they always get powdery mildew!

2012-08-07T17:43:19.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

zafooo

Jerseygardener,

put milk in a spray bottle, and spray your plant, about once a week, it should prevent mildew, and might even get rid of it.  Do this in the morning or noon time so it has time to dry before night !

2012-08-15T19:10:49.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 4