Jeanette Seedling

Jeanette

Blueberries

I have 4 Blueberry plants 2 yrs old. They are in 3 gal pots and I want to put them in a raised strawberry bed.  When do I transplant them?  Do they need protection from the freezing temp which we are approaching.  Is there a publication that I can buy for detailed info?

Views: 7810 Replies: 6 Date: 2011-11-22T19:27:52.000Z
Result Count: 6

Tools

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: Blueberries

Nicdoot, Blueberries need very little pruning. Unless the stems are quite unsightly I would leave them. Pruning blueberries in the fall will cut off the fruit for next year.

2012-09-17T06:06:52.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

nicdoot

nicdoot

I am wondering too about pruning. I have some long stems coming up out of my less than year old tophat.

2012-09-14T20:23:37.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

HazelFyrebird

HazelFyrebird

Fall planting is usually best for blueberry bushes (about 1 month before average frost date); spring planting is next best.  Absolute worst is when the ground is frozen & you have to chip out the hardpan with a sledgehammer! ;-9  Seriously, though, you can find a lot of information on many agricultural colleges' extension websites: any college with tech or polytechnic in the title usually will work with the extension offices in your state.  One that I regularly consult is Virginia Tech's site, http://www.ext.vt.edu.  You can also google the latin name of your variety to get decent information from various extension sites around the US on what type of sun levels it prefers, when to prune, etc.  

2012-01-10T08:56:06.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

MarylandMG

You could transplant your blueberries now but you should really do a soil test first.  Blueberries require very acidic soil, pH range of 4.5 to 5.5.  The optimal process would be to determine your raised bed's pH, adjust the pH using sulfur and/or ferrous sulfate and plant the blueberries in the spring.  You can find information on blueberries at www.growit.umd.edu and search for blueberries.

To hold you plants over in their pots this winter, just group them together and mulch them in with lots of mulch.  This will keep the rootballs from freezing and thawing which is bad.

2011-12-23T07:11:06.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

ShaggyDogLady

I've got a question about my blueberry bushes as well; do I need to prune them? I thought I read somewhere that they should be cut back in the fall or winter, to help promote new growth in the spring. and that berries will only grow on new growth. Can anyone confirm this for me?

2011-12-21T13:59:14.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

JACKIE

JACKIE

I would definately wait until the threat of frost is past before transplanting them. 

2011-12-14T00:46:12.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 6