CarrotChick Soil Stomper

CarrotChick

Top varieties for canning/preserving

What are some good vegetables (types and specific variety names) that are best for canning? Tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, etc.? 

Views: 5394 Replies: 7 Date: 2012-02-08T13:39:25.000Z
Result Count: 7

Tools

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: Top varieties for canning/preserving

The top varieties for canning and preserving are:

• Greenbeans, 'Tenderpick' and 'Kentucky Blue'
  • Cucumbers, ‘Picklebush’
  • Tomatoes, ‘Roma VF’ and the new ‘Big Mama’ did excellent in canning

2012-02-09T12:05:29.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

daldricht Soil Stomper

daldricht

Be careful when canning green beans - they need to be done in a pressure cooker. Tomatoes can be done by boiling jars in a stock pot. Beets are another excellent canning vegetable. I love getting them small and canning those.

2012-02-09T18:20:39.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Grimm's

Grimm's

I planted 14 different varieties of tomatoes last season and when it comes to ease of peeling and quality of tomato, Celebrity was by far my favorite.  It's all I'm planting this year.   Heavy producer too!

2013-01-29T18:33:23.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

FlyingVGoddess

I only started canning since last season, but I must say the 'Picklebush' cucumbers made excellant pickles. Five plants produced a LOT of cucumbers and the pickles turned out so great that I always have a jar of them sitting in my fridge. ;)

2013-01-29T23:05:16.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

towngardener

I can confirm what Burpee said about Big Mama tomatoes. Large, paste tomatoes--taste great, very meaty.  I don't eat tomatoes raw, so I can't offer an opinion on eating them in a salad, but I've been canning sauce with them for two years, and I'm very happy.

2013-02-05T01:52:54.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

BrittW

Most Roma/paste tomatoes are excellent for processing and canning. Some of my favorites: Polish Linguisa, Super Marzano, Amish paste, Martino's Roma, Saucey, Sausage, Margherita, Speckled Roman...

2013-08-19T18:03:35.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

OldGuy

OldGuy

When canning green beans (and some other vegetables), we really like to use multiple varieties. Doing so seems to improve the flavor of the canned green beans. This year (2013), our mix included six varieties: Burpee's Stringless Green Pod, Bush Blue Lake, Contender, Maxibel, Provider, and Strike.

2013-09-09T04:19:29.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 7