diggininthedirt Soil Stomper

diggininthedirt

Canning tomatoes

Hello,

I have TONS of tomatoes that are still coming off the plants here in Zone 6.

I would like some information on how to either can them or a very simple sauce recipe .

Views: 11841 Replies: 14 Date: 2011-10-26T06:29:01.000Z
Result Count: 14

Tools

monkeyface

Re: Canning tomatoes

I was recently faced with the same issue...more tomatoes than we could possibly eat or give away! I looked online and found a site by Ball for tomato canning. I ran my empty jars through the dishwasher and stored them in there to keep them hot while I worked on the tomatoes. I put two large pots to boil, one for the canning process and one for the tomatoes. The pot for the tomatoes had a strainer with handles which makes it easy to get the tomatoes out. I placed the tomatoes into the boiling water for about 1-2 minutes, pulled them out via the strainer and placed them into my kitchen sink which was filled with cold water. The tomato skins would split and I pealed the tomatoes in the cold water and placed the skinless tomatoes into a clean bowl. If the skin didn't split I pricked it with a knife. I then removed the cores, quartered them and put them back into the bowl. I took my jars out and added 2 tbs lemon juice, 1 tsp pickling salt and the chopped tomatoes with liquid. I removed the air with the canning spatula, wiped the tops of the jars and placed the lids (I had these in boiling water) and bands onto the jars. I boiled the filled jars for 45 minutes on a low rolling boil. After 5 minutes removed the jars with tongs and placed on clean towel. They all sealed. I noticed there was about an inch of liquid on the bottom and the tomatoes above. 

2012-09-19T06:48:24.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

monkeyface

I was recently faced with the same issue...more tomatoes than we could possibly eat or give away! I looked online and found a site by Ball for tomato canning. I ran my empty jars through the dishwasher and stored them in there to keep them hot while I worked on the tomatoes. I put two large pots to boil, one for the canning process and one for the tomatoes. The pot for the tomatoes had a strainer with handles which makes it easy to get the tomatoes out. I placed the tomatoes into the boiling water for about 1-2 minutes, pulled them out via the strainer and placed them into my kitchen sink which was filled with cold water. The tomato skins would split and I pealed the tomatoes in the cold water and placed the skinless tomatoes into a clean bowl. If the skin didn't split I pricked it with a knife. I then removed the cores, quartered them and put them back into the bowl. I took my jars out and added 2 tbs lemon juice, 1 tsp pickling salt and the chopped tomatoes with liquid. I removed the air with the canning spatula, wiped the tops of the jars and placed the lids (I had these in boiling water) and bands onto the jars. I boiled the filled jars for 45 minutes on a low rolling boil. After 5 minutes removed the jars with tongs and placed on clean towel. They all sealed. I noticed there was about an inch of liquid on the bottom and the tomatoes above. 

2012-09-19T06:47:27.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

monkeyface

2012-09-19T06:44:32.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

swansot

swansot

After canning all my tomatoes, I like to can the left over juice as well.  It's great to have on hand to add flavor to rice or sauces. 

2012-08-15T04:33:33.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

swansot

swansot

After canning all my tomatoes, I like to can the left over juice as well.  It's great to have on hand to add flavor to rice or sauces. 

2012-08-15T04:33:01.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

swansot

swansot

2012-08-15T04:32:53.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

TomatoLover

TomatoLover

I add a teaspoon of lemon juice to each pint of whole tomatoes instead of salt.  My biggest lesson in canning was leaving enough headspace at the top-at least 3/4".  One time we filled too high and all the tops exploded while we were sealing them!

2012-05-01T08:15:44.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

maggievanfossan

maggievanfossan

In 2011, I discovered ROASTING tomatoes - so much easier than canning. I quarter tomatoes, onions and green peppers and put in a baking pan. I sprinkle with olive oil, S & P, italian seasonings and roast in the oven 350 for 2 hours. I pack directly into freezer zip bags or run through my blender before freezing to make a sauce. You can vary the recipe with spaghetti sauce seasonings or plain for just tomato sauce. I pack in quart-size bags and freeze on a cookie sheet so they stack nicely in my freezer.

2012-03-24T16:47:27.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

Planning to can?

Check out canning tips and tricks from garden expert, Theresa Loe. http://www.burpeehomegard...is-year-plan-to-can.html

2012-03-07T14:35:54.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

bwlservs

bwlservs

A easier way when there are way too many for canning etc, is to wash and freeze whole.  When you want a quick sause or for a soup etc, the skins come right off as they thaw with a little slit around them in no time.

2012-01-19T13:51:27.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

peshadows

My favorite canning book for beginners is the BALL canning book. The stewed tomotoes in that are my favorite. Make sure you get the right canner.

Otherwise, when I have a surplus, I clean the tomatoes, peel and cut them, then pack them into freezer bags for future use, such as adding to soups.

2011-12-30T08:09:55.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Prncssdrake

Prncssdrake

2011-11-16T12:05:11.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

diggininthedirt

Thanks for the info GoodGrowing.

Will go and look fo ra book that has a photo step by step for this.

2011-11-15T07:42:50.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

GoodGrowing

I scalded the tomatoes with hot water so the peels would just slip off, then I cut out the cores, cut the tomatoes in quarters and or large pieces, put them in a hot canning jar, tamped them down until juice formed, and jar was filled, added one tsp. salt, ran a knife down the side of jar to remove air bubbles, wiped the mouth off to ensure the tops would seal, put on the top and ring,  placed in a hot water bath to process.  Really is easy.  I suggest a book on canning to give you exact steps to follow to ensure you enjoy the experience.

2011-11-02T05:29:15.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 14