NewbieGardener Green Thumb

NewbieGardener

Cilantro Growing Tips?

I grew cilantro this year and as soon as it got hot, the plant starting bolting and growing flowers. I tried to cut it back but it kept flowering. I finally had to rip it out. I am going to try again this fall but does anyone have any tips for growing cilantro?

Views: 7588 Replies: 4 Date: 2011-08-23T07:36:17.000Z
Result Count: 4

Tools

HazelFyrebird

HazelFyrebird

Re: Cilantro Growing Tips???

Yeah, that's a hazard of cilantro.  Many people actually see that as a feature, because they raise it for the seeds (coriander) rather than for the leaf (cilantro).  Similar to the dillweed/dillseed debate, some have a preference for the one over the other.  If you want it as a leaf plant, it's more a spring/fall plant than a summer one.  It's really hard to get it to transplant, in my experience, so I just direct-sow by scatter method, and thin in place.  Luckily, my family prefers the seed to the leaf, as I live in the warm southeast where it gets warm quick.

2012-01-10T08:32:04.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Green Thumb

NewbieGardener

How early in the Philadelphia spring do you think I should start the cilantro?  Can I start it indoors and then move it to an outdoor container as it warms up?

2012-02-09T09:15:05.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

BurpeeGuestAcco

BurpeeGuestAcco

I am aware of at least of two types of cilantro and ours is a "wild version" a broadleaf type.  Here in Central Texas it comes back after our hot extended summers!  Ours has been going wild and even though we use in Tex-Mex cooking we have been giving plants away.  We let it go to seed in early summer and naturally reseeds itself!  Check online for easiest types to grow!

2012-02-14T13:27:53.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

BurpeeGuestAcco

BurpeeGuestAcco

Re: Cilantro Growing Tips?

I don't think you can keep cilantro from bolting as its the nature of the plant but you can slow it down.  The hottest part of the day is from about 10am to 2pm.  Your about the same zone as me here in CT, zone 6-7.  Put your plants/seeds where they will get afternoon sun, not the hottest sun of the day.  Plant as early as you are able.  You can also set new seed every 2-3 weeks while its cool.  Here is a great site for cilantro: http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/2617/how-to-grow-cilantro/page/all.

2012-02-29T07:02:52.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 4