BurpeeAdmin1 Soil Stomper

BurpeeAdmin1

Community Garden Participation

Have you helped or participated in school or community gardens in your area? If so, why and which one?

Views: 4321 Replies: 4 Date: 2011-08-23T06:04:56.000Z
Result Count: 4

Tools

Redwing

Re: Community Garden Participation

Gardening is a passion with me.  Someone asked me to take control of a small city garden area which seemed to have had trouble getting volunteers in the past.  The city turned it into a stone pile with a row of grasses and a few Day Lilies, boring to say the least.  Understanding the city was trying to have it be low maintenence but there are ways of having low maintence with a little more interest  So I did take on the project, had boulders moved in, I collected rocks and brought them in, I divided some of my plants from my own garden to transplant there, I got some old barn wood and had my husband build a bench for a focal point, I planted a flowering tree and a few low growing evergreen shrubs, made a path, and added a few bright Wave Petunia's and a few solar lights, a hidden tube to hold a flag for holidays and by the end of the summer it was looking quite attractive.  One person can make a difference and would encourage others to get envolved in the community beatification.

2011-11-27T06:41:30.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

tiarra

tiarra

I am a 7th grade life science teachers and started a school garden at Crawford W. Long Middle School in Atlanta, GA to tackle the obesity problem and poor eating habits of our students and community. Healthy eating is a challenge for the members of our community and the two supermarkets in our community do not provide high quality produce for our families.  Therefore, many of the families in our community resort to consistently eating unhealthy food from the numerous fast food restaurants in our community, junk food, or foods high in sugar, fat, or cholesterol.  Through the garden, I hope students and the community will make healthier food choices through increased consumption of fruits and vegetables during the school day and beyond.

2012-01-07T14:02:21.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

BurpeeGuestAcco

BurpeeGuestAcco

I am working on getting a community garden started in my area.  I live in a rather low income area and like the person from GA above, many people in our area are not eating good quality foods.

I have been working with my council person to get this set up and they have allocated some space to put the garden.  However, some of the neighbors are resistant to the idea so I thought maybe by offering free seeds and maybe getting some garden supplies donated by a local shop they might be inticed to work on it. 

Any suggestions?

2012-02-16T09:32:07.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

astralain Soil Stomper

astralain

Our community garden was started by our County Agricultural Extension Office. You might try them if there is one in your community. We found a lot of interest initially but not that much follow-through. Maybe this year we can get more involvement and a little more organization. Good luck.

Ours is a "community garden" in the sense that each individual is assigned a plot.

2012-03-16T06:10:02.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 4