MCK326 Soil Stomper

MCK326

Growing Flowers in Part Shade (zone 6)

I have a large flower pot on my front steps that gets only morning sun.  I would like to plant some flowers but I'm looking for something a little less than the normal flowers (i.e. impatiens, violets, pansies, etc.).  Can anyone give me some suggestions as to what would be a good plant(s) to choose.  I do have the option of planting a few different kinds, because this is a very large pot.  Thanks, in advance, for any suggestinos.

Views: 5108 Replies: 2 Date: 2012-04-30T11:46:18.000Z
Result Count: 2

Tools

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: Growing Flowers in Part Shade (zone 6)

You hit the major plants with impatiens, begonias ,and pansies.  

You can also look at alyssum, coleus(for its leaves), perilla ( for its leaves),torenia, browallia and fuschia.

Some of the tender summer bulbs, like caladiums, tuberous begonia and elephant ear.

If the shade is just dappled , you might be able to grow stock, and nicotiana too.

2012-05-01T06:13:36.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

MCK326

Re: Growing Flowers in Part Shade (zone 6)

Many thanks, Burpee, for the information.  I am now looking into perilla, torenia and browallia.  I am not familiar with these names, and want to learn more about these plants.  By the way, I love this site, because I can ask all of my gardening questions, and be assured that I am getting good answers. 

2012-05-02T06:52:25.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 2