connorsmom Seedling

connorsmom

gardening in containers

I recently saw an urban gardening site on a program where they used small plastic swimming pools for raised bed gardening.

Has anyone done this?  We have a large yard, but we rent and the soil is terrible.

connorsmom

Views: 3710 Replies: 3 Date: 2012-07-03T07:51:22.000Z
Result Count: 3

Tools

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: gardening in containers

We have no information about a kid’s pool being toxic to vegetables. Make sure you have drainage holes in the bottom. You need to treat if like a container so it would be better to use potting soil or make your own.

2012-07-09T07:35:54.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Malainie

I put in one-inch holes, two inches above the bottom on the sides every 12 inches for drainage. I put down straw, rather than rocks, in the bottom of the pool before using a combination of organic soil with natural fertilizer for vegetables and mushroom compost. A lot of bags! 28 in all, I believe. I have 11 tomato plants, three pepper plants, three yellow straight-neck squash plants and bush beans and snap peas. I planted lettuce between the tomato rows to use as a natural mulch until the plants got bigger. Since I live in the high desert of Albuquerque, the hot high altitude sun is too intense, so I put my garden in the shade of some trees. It gets early morning sun and then full sun from around 3PM. So far, so good! I've already harvested five squash. Take a look at my garden, ten days after first planting it.

2012-07-07T13:34:34.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Malainie

I tried it for the first time this year. I didn't buy the pre-formed kiddie pool, I bought a cheaper, snap-side pool. The sides are rigid and the bottom is soft plastic. Plus it's 18 inches deep rather than 8 to 10 inches in the foam sided pools. It has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams! See how it looks today after I planted it on 5/9/12!

2012-07-07T13:18:00.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 3