jstewart Seedling

jstewart

cucumber trellis...vertical or leaning

which is better to grow cucumbers,vertical or at an angle?

Views: 10843 Replies: 7 Date: 2012-05-04T19:47:40.000Z
Result Count: 7

Tools

Soil Stomper

Capnahab

Re: cucumber trellis...vertical or leaning

I have always used a trellis. Saves space and clean. 

2013-03-30T19:22:36.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

fredstir Soil Stomper

fredstir

trellis for sure.   Head for your nearest farm store (rural king whatever). $20.00 will get you a 16 foot cattle or hog pen. Cut into equal lenghts maybe 6ft.  Twist tie together. twist ties act like hinges.  Flip up into tent.  Make sure the bottom ends touching the ground has the horizontal (parralel to the ground) wire cut off.  This gives you a row of about 6 inch spikes that you push in the ground. Ain't no wind gonna blow that over. I prefer the tent because I end up with all those cukes tangling down in the inside of you tent like christmas ornaments.  Easy see easy pick. easy inspection of plants for pests.  Gently train the plants with clips up the trelis. Prune off any side shoots wanting to grow on the ground.  Just asking for pest problems there.  You can even grow early crops like radish lettuce etc inside the tent and harvest before the cukes shade them out.  How's that for efficiency.

2013-03-10T04:23:12.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

soxfan2k4

soxfan2k4

Vertical!  No better way to do it!  Here is a picture of my trellis taken last July 1.  After the  third level of lattice was installed, it reached over 7' high! Laughing  I am putting another one kitty corner to it this year

I made this by burying the bottom 12" of two 8' railroad ties using a post-hole digger.  Once they were secure, I got an 8' x 10' sheet of lattice, and cut it into four equal pieces, and screwed the lattice in as the vines grew.  Sometimes, they needed to be held to the trellis w. velcro before the tendrils got the hang of clinging on, but all in all, this was a huge success!

My cucumber trellis

2013-03-07T14:18:28.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

redwino

I have never used a trellis, how sturdy are we talking, metal?wood? after all they get really heavy

2013-03-04T19:33:23.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Ronald Soil Stomper

Ronald

Hi. Im new hereAnyone familiar with the Armenian cucumber. I am growing some this year and had a question about them. They are a long, curved type if cucumber. My question is if I grow them on a trellis, will they still be curly? They are also called painted serpent or striped serpent cucumber. Anyone with any experience with these.

Thanks

Ron

2013-02-27T18:24:59.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

emmyc313 Soil Stomper

emmyc313

i prefer vertical, because it saves space. i also think vertical trellises do a better job at keeping your cucumbers off the ground.

2012-05-28T19:39:24.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

Growing cucumbers vertically helps saves space. The cucumbers grow straighter and cleaner than cucumbers that are grown on the ground .I have seen cumbers grow equally well on a vertical trellis as well as  on an A frame.  I could find no studies showing one way is better than the other.  Make sure you choose a vine type and not a bush type.

2012-05-05T07:48:33.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 7