NewbieGardener Green Thumb

NewbieGardener

Fertilizing Tomatoes

How often do you fertilize your tomatoes?  This year I grew cherry tomatoes in containers and fertilized them a couple of tablespoons about once or twice a week.  I am having good results but am wondering if I just got lucky or was that the about the right amount?

Views: 3960 Replies: 2 Date: 2011-08-23T07:17:45.000Z
Result Count: 2

Tools

Soil Stomper

tracy111

Re: Fertilizing Tomatoes

This might sound a little gross, but if your tomatoes are a ways from the house and if you or someone you know fishes you would have the best fretilizer around. When my husband takes the grand kids fishing I won't let them throw the suckers back, I bring them home chop them into chunks and freeze them until it is time to plant the tomatoes and then throw a chunk in each tomato hole and stand back and watch them babies GROW. the smell does go away pretty fast like a week, so if you don't need your windows open for that time you can use it closer to your house. The fish lasts for the whole growing season. If I could ever get enough fish I would try it on different plants in my garden.

2013-01-23T18:01:56.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

peshadows

Re: Fertilizing Tomatoes

It sounds about right. I don't know what you use, but I alternate using the seaweed fertilizer Burbee sells and fish emulsion on my tomatoes. I apply about 1/4 cup in 2 gallons of water to water about 8-10 tomato plants each week during the growing season (unless we get tons of rain that week).

2012-01-04T09:46:41.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 2