yardman Seedling

yardman

Fig trees in NJ

I wanted to ask how much do I trim back fig tree .  And to what degree, ie main branches get cut off or do I leave the largest upright trunk type branches.  I have it covered.  My prpblem is I get ripe fruit real late in mid Sept. on . This has been ok this year due to the unseasonal warm weather. Thanks for your help.

Views: 4007 Replies: 4 Date: 2011-12-13T04:53:11.000Z
Result Count: 4

Tools

Drevil

Drevil

Re: Fig trees in NJ

You may have a variety that is late in the season. You may want to consider a different variety. Check out fig.yuku.com. It's a chat board dedicated to figs. I'm sure they'll have some ideas. 

2013-02-14T13:01:39.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

jeaneree

jeaneree

You can prune a fig tree in the fall prior to covering it or you can prune it in the spring.  Always take off any small suckers that grow from the ground and just place them in a pot.  They root very easily.  I hae a fig farm where I grow 100+ fig trees.  I only cover three of them and the remainder of the fig trees are in large plastic pots that I put in my barn during the winter, watering them only twice during the dormant season.

2013-02-10T02:51:02.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

LynnClapper

LynnClapper

save your cuttings. fig trees are very easy to root

2013-01-07T16:26:06.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

Young trees should be pruned during the dormant season only enough to train them in the desired shape, old trees seldom need pruning. Do not over prune

2012-03-14T13:26:49.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 4