BackyardBob Seedling

BackyardBob

CARROTS1

I grew carrots every year when I lived in South Jersey but I strike out trying to grow them in Southern California. Last year I spade-forked the ground to a depth of 9 inches, then scattered seed.  I got 3 carrots, and not great ones!  This year I dug 9-inch deep trenches and mixed the soil with sand, then soweed seeds in rows topped with 1/3-inch of light soil, tamped down. I water each morning.  Nothing!  Any thoughts? 

Views: 2833 Replies: 2 Date: 2012-04-19T15:29:42.000Z
Result Count: 2

Tools

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: CARROTS1

There are several reasons why there may not be any roots. It is usually caused by plnating too close or by not thinning plant. Too high a temperature can also cause not roots as well as too much nitrogen fertilizer. Check your pH if the pH is too low they will not produce any roots.

2012-04-23T11:23:12.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

hessianguy

hessianguy

Re: CARROTS1

Carrots are unique among vegetables in that they require sunlight to germinate. (No sunlight, no germination). They also grow best in cool weather in sandy soil. Actually, you are in the perfect place to grow perfect carrots, since most of the commercial growers are located on the California coast. You should add some sand to your soil if it isn't already sandy, and plant them in late September-October and harvest them in April-May.  I grow them in the "wide row" method which is to scatter the seeds in a band about 12 inches wide. Since they need sunlight to germinate, I don't cover them at all. I just prepare the soil and then scatter them sparsely onto the surface, then water them immediately, which does cover them to some degree from the watering. Carrots are so easily sown too thick, so I add some dry sand to the seeds before scattering them, which makes them get spread out more. Nitrogen lawn type fertilizer is best in my experience.

Good Luck

2013-04-24T16:44:47.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 2