Jessika Soil Stomper

Jessika

Square Foot Gardening

Has anyone tried this method of gardening? Has it worked for you? Any suggestions?

Views: 6935 Replies: 12 Date: 2012-01-12T17:47:31.000Z
Result Count: 12

Tools

sfgjimmyt

sfgjimmyt

Re: Square Foot Gardening

I've been square foot gardening for about 13 years now.  Vining things grow very well vertically and are not too big-with the right kind of tower.  Done right, you will be amazed at what you will pull out of such a small space.  One example: I pulled 64 heads of lettuce out of a 4X4 that was basically effortless.  I've got a bunch of things to look at if intereseted at my website-the wealthyearth.com if you'd like to take a look.  If you want to garden but don't want all the extra work, you should really give it a look...

2012-07-08T10:44:12.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Martha

Martha

Maggie - I'm wondering what material you used to frame your raised beds - cedar?  Also, can you share with us the soil mixture you started with?  Thanks!

2012-03-24T16:56:59.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

maggievanfossan

maggievanfossan

SFQ does work. That's where I started gardening about 6 years ago with two 3' high beds 3'x8' (easier for me to reach into than 4' as I am small). Eventually my grids fell apart and I've moved away from the grids to short rows very close together. I've also added more boxes and bed space. I find the 3' tall soil enables me to really garden intensively and not have to bend too far. I have seats on the side of my boxes. Good luck.

2012-03-24T16:34:58.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

PAgardener

I've used sfg for 3 years and I love it! As far as vining veggies, you just have to place cages or arbors near them so they climb. Some veggies need more space like tomatoes, cabbage and some need less space like lettuce and carrots.  I have 8 4x4 beds and produce so much that I have to give it away. I also plant flowers in the vegs to keep bugs at bay. Hope this helped.

2012-03-19T06:11:28.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

BurpeeGuestAcco

BurpeeGuestAcco

I want to try this concept to save my husbands back on making long rows.   He wants to make them 4' wide by 15' long.......I think this is still to big!   Our garden is 24 x 60...... 

2012-03-06T09:54:09.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

BurpeeGuestAcco

BurpeeGuestAcco

I used this too, last season.  It works great but not for all plants.  Vining plants like melons, squashes, and pumpkins are too big.  Look for determinant tomatoes and cage them or train them up a trellis.  This plan really does work and keeps things simple and organized.  If you combine a companion planting scheme with it, you could have a relatively pest free garden.  If you like to plant themed gardens this works really great too.  You really can plant a lot more than you think in a 4x4 space. 

2012-02-29T07:33:31.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

BurpeeGuestAcco

BurpeeGuestAcco

Seems to be quite a bit of interest in square foot gardening. I've been doing this bed system for better than 10 years with great success.  I have used raised beds of 2 1/2 feet high just to save my back, The grid, organized manner that Retsina was referring to has been the most beneficial for me. I started by basically following the book and going from there. My harvest has always been good and my work load has always been minimal. What more could I ask for?  Any specific questions..feel free to email.

2012-02-25T09:53:24.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

BurpeeGuestAcco

BurpeeGuestAcco

I've been reading the original book this winter.  Anyone know if the updated versions have any new or different info?

2012-02-21T08:46:19.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

DeesPeas

Thank you Jessika, for the info.:). Interesting concept.

2012-01-28T01:57:35.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Retsina

Retsina

I was unaware of this "style" of gardening in a formal sense before seeing this post.  i use raised beds and have not been very systematic about planting previously.  i doubled my bedspace this year and was going in with a plan.  i am intrigued (although put off by the "it isn't square foot gardening without a grid" logic.  Um, no-that is just a marketing concept.  I also prefer beds that are 10-12" deep (ok I may do a few 4 X $ X 6's just for herbs and greens). However, I am going to make grids and plant intensively, and in an organized manner, and see how it goes.

2012-01-26T10:25:22.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Jessika Soil Stomper

Jessika

Square Food Gardening is a method created by Gardener Mel Bartholomew that uses a 4'X4' raised bed that is sectioned into 16 1'X1' squares. Each square is used to plant a different vegetable or flower.

This method is supposed to allow you to grow more vegetables in less space.

Mel has written two books on the subject. Square Foot Garden that was published in 1981 and the updated version called All New Square Foot Gardening was published in 2006.

I'd like to know if anyone has used this method before and how easy and succesful it was for you.

2012-01-14T19:27:10.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

DeesPeas

What is square foot gardening?

2012-01-14T11:13:11.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 12