PinkThumb425 Seedling

PinkThumb425

My 1st Fall Garden (2nd Season Gardening)

This is my first year doing a 2nd season garden and I am extremely excited to start it. Laughing I am moving into a new house in 2 weeks so there is no real reason to start it where I am now so I am getting real anxious. I have started to germinate a few of my seeds which I am not sure if I should have done since I did some reading today and found out that everything should have been a direct sow. So I have a few questions since I am new to fall gardening. I usually plant a few things during the spring/summer but I am far from a master gardener but I hope with a few more years I hope to be.

I ordered two plants from burpees.com; broccoli and cabbage and seeds for carrots, lettuce, green beans, spinach, collards, kale, and cucumbers. And from my local nursey I bought some more seeds mostly herbs and a few repeats of seeds I got online.(BusyBee in Glenwood Illinois is going out of business and all the seeds are 5/$1 and the pots are all 60% off) I really wanted to do onions and garlic but I wasn't sure with living in Chicago how everything would turn out and I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money and barely get anything in return.

So my main question is how do I go about getting my garden to grow and have a very plentiful garden? Also what is a good fertilizer to use? Also any tips that have worked for others in the Chicagoland area? I am extremely grateful for any help anyone is willing to give to me. Thanks in advance.

Views: 2534 Replies: 2 Date: 2012-09-16T16:25:41.000Z
Result Count: 2

Tools

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: My 1st Fall Garden (2nd Season Gardening)

Everything except the collards, cucumbers and green beans are fine for the fall. The cucumbers, beans and collards can’t take any frost so I don’t know if they will have time to develop. Don’t plant basil outside in the fall they can’t take any frost, however you can plant basil inside in a sunny window for winter use.

I would skip the onions in the fall they take too long. If you want garlic choose a hardneck variety for the fall but they need to be in the ground not in a container. You would harvest garlic next late spring.

Wait until the temperature is staying below 85 degrees to start plant use good garden soil with plenty of organic matter mixed in. Anything you grow in containers  you must use potting soil.

Fertilizer can be a tricky thing in the fall, we use a organic granular fertilizer that last a long time in the soil. Which every fertilizer you use make sure you read and follow the directions.

Store leftover seed in a cool, dark, dry place for next spring.

2012-09-17T06:44:25.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Mbridgley

Mbridgley

Re: My 1st Fall Garden (2nd Season Gardening)

Hello I am no expert however my grandmotalways told taught us that collards loved the frost. As a matter of fact her 2nd harvest after they were hit by the frost was always better than the summer ones. They have a sweeter milder flavor. I don't know how many  times they can withstand succumbing to frost but its worth a try. I do know that the collard plants were mature and ready to picked. What I do know is that in the south the collard greens that have been hit by the frost is coveted!!! Smile

2013-03-18T15:58:28.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 2