NewbieGardener Green Thumb

NewbieGardener

Fall Planted Garlic

When is the best time to plant fall garlic in Philadelphia, PA and is there a certain variety that tastes better raw?

Views: 5719 Replies: 6 Date: 2011-09-06T06:19:36.000Z
Result Count: 6

Tools

Garden Guru

BrittW

Re: Fall Planted Garlic

Here in zone 5, I have successfully grown many types of hard neck and soft neck varieties. I typically plant in late October, although the weather doesn't always cooperate with my schedule.  I have planted as late as early December with good results.  The garlic figures it out on its own. 

2013-08-11T02:10:27.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

GayRNJ

In Northern NJ, we have always planted in the late Fall - early to mid-October.   The last two years we have gotten tremendous garlic heads.   However, we had only planted regular soft garlic.   This past fall we visited the Garlic Fest in Saugerties New York and bought four different varieties of hard-neck garlic to plant.  They were planted in the fall, and covered with straw.  I have seen some poking out of the ground this past week.  We will see how this newest batch works out by about July!

2013-03-07T17:02:00.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

redwino

I bought garlic starts in the fall and then never planted them, is it to late? and should I place them in a container or the ground? I hear that they can pollute the soil.

2013-03-04T19:36:05.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

tomatoeman Soil Stomper

tomatoeman

I live in central Illinois,zone 5,any hardneck should do well for you.I plant mine in early October.I also have a "patch",where I leave a couple plants in the ground year round.the plants go to seed and produce plenty of garlic the next year.the heads are a little smaller but syill have good flavor.I also harvest and replant.

2011-11-26T13:17:17.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Gardentroll

I planted garlic cloves (hard neck) in a planter-Sept 22-Already have shoots-Will keep outdoors.

2011-11-16T04:02:26.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

KarelG789 Soil Stomper

KarelG789

Based on many gardening sources that I have read, the best time to plant garlic cloves is in the late fall (although several weeks before the first frost).  I am in southern Illinois (east St Louis) and we are planting Nooka Rosa garlic in Earthboxes.  Our plan is to grow the garlic inside over the winter and move it outside after the last frost date in March or April.  If you look at a garlic variety on Burpee.com and look for the Growing Information tab, it will ask for your zip code and determine the proper date for planting in your area.

2011-11-04T16:52:03.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 6