NewbieGardener Green Thumb

NewbieGardener

Best time to grow garlic?

When is the best time of the year to grow garlic.  I know some of my friends start it in the spring and others start it in the fall.

Views: 6046 Replies: 6 Date: 2011-08-23T07:28:28.000Z
Result Count: 6

Tools

Soil Stomper

Cool-Cucumber

Re: Best time to grow garlic?

In the south, garlic will grow best if planted in the fall.  If you live in the north, garlic can be planted in either spring or fall.  

Northern gardeners should place a 4" layer of mulch over the fall planted cloves for winter protection.  This keeps the bulbs from being heaved out of the ground when freezing and thawing occurs.

2012-02-16T06:11:18.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

Gardener1122

The best time to grow garlic is about 2 weeks after you plat your tomatoes and cucmberand stuff like that what I did was buy a garlic from Stop and Shop and took it apart and planted those!

2012-08-15T11:37:15.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

BrittW

Garlic often does best with a cooling off period.  In zone 5, I plant many varieties in the fall- they start to grow a little, then winter comes, they go dormant, but start right back up where they left off when the spring thaw comes around.  Very low maintenance, yet rewarding crop, I don't know why anyone wouldn't grow it!

2013-08-11T02:16:12.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

BrittW

BTW, do NOT plant garlic from the supermarket! It has been treated and processed (usually in erratic temeratures) for a long time and it will be confused. It also won't taste as good as the varieties you can grow when purchased from a reputable dealer. 

2013-08-11T02:19:39.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Dogstardaddy

Grew it for the first time this year. We live outside of Philly. I planted in the late fall, and harvested in July. It did great in my garden, and I plan on planting even more this fall.

2013-08-15T22:44:35.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

westernNYguy Soil Stomper

westernNYguy

Living in zone 5 - i set Oct 10th as my fall planting of garlic.  This year I covered the new planting with about a half a foot of loose leaves which i left in place until Spring had finally arrived (early April) before pulling the leaves off the young plants - it looks like every set was looking very healthy and about three inches high.  Next the old cloves of garlic i never throw away - those that have begun a small green sprout.. Taking each one I hull the shell and then split the clove and remove the green sprout, the remaining garlic minus the sprouts i grind in a chopper/grinder and place the remains in a small glass jar and cover just above the contents with olive oil - cover and place in the refrigerator. When a little garlic is desired - its an easy source and easy to use... Prior i tried to dry the above and make garlic powder - the olive oil treatment is much quicker and easier,,,

2014-04-09T12:30:39.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 6