NewbieGardener Green Thumb

NewbieGardener

Dividing a Hosta

When is the best time of the year to divide a hosta?  We have 2 huge hostas along our walkway and need to clear some room so people can walk by.

I am in zone 6 outside of Philadelphia, PA.

Views: 6794 Replies: 2 Date: 2011-08-23T07:53:29.000Z
Result Count: 2

Tools

Soil Stomper

diggininthedirt

Re: Dividing a Hosta

August or early September, at least 30 days before the first frost date. The conditions then are more favorable to rapid root growth. The soil is warm and the air is more humid than in the spring. While people prefer the cool, sunny days of spring, hostas grow well on 85-90 degree days with high humidity.

Also, hostas usually put on a little growth spurt in August. Frequently, they will throw up a small flush of leaves as the temperatures moderate from the heat of July, especially if there has been rain. Many hostas at this time of year begin to actively grow again after their summer heat dormancy. Thus, hostas divided in late summer will make new roots quickly. Many fast growing hostas will make all new foliage before frost and hold it well into fall. Some may even bloom again.

The only danger in dividing hostas in August is excessive heat or extended drought. Keep newly divided hostas wet. Do not let them dry out for the first two weeks. Removing some of the older, larger leaves or cutting the foliage back at the time of dividing will reduce water loss. Any leaves that suffer burned edges will be taken by the frost in a few weeks anyway.

2011-10-26T13:48:20.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

MCK326

Re: Dividing a Hosta

I too am in Zone 6, right outside of Philadelphia, in Montgomery County, and I find that I can divide my hostas at any time of year, replant them in their new locations, and they do well.  I have divided my hostas during Spring, Summer, and Fall with no problems at all.  I have them growing in full sun, 1/2 day sun and shade, and full shade, and all are in good shape.  Also, I'm pretty lucky because I do not have any problems with slugs.  I guess they are not in my area.  Good luck with your hostas.

2012-04-23T09:02:20.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 2