MCK326 Soil Stomper

MCK326

HELP! My New Guinea Impatiens are drooping.

I bought a beautiful large basket of New Guinea Impatiens this weekend (expensive) and planted in a large pot on my Zone 6 front steps.  I used a very good potting mix and watered in well with Miracle Grow in the water.  By the next morning my New Guinea Impatiens were drooping over and loosing flowers!  The temperature did go down to the mid 50's overnight.  Could this have been the reason that they are now drooping over, and loosing their flowers?  The temperatures in my Zone 6 area are hovering between the mid 50's and the low 70's.  If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it. 

Views: 8996 Replies: 3 Date: 2012-05-07T00:30:12.000Z
Result Count: 3

Tools

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: HELP! My New Guinea Impatiens are drooping.

Sounds like transplant shock, this  is very common  with New Guinea Impatiens.  If you can move the container to just some morning sun not all day sun.  Keep the soil evenly moist but not wet.  Do not fertilizer it again  until it is up and growing firtilizer can make the problem worst.  Good news is they are hardy plants and should bounce back. If any branches are dead pinch them back.

2012-05-07T04:44:39.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

MCK326

Thanks Burpee garden expert.  When I came home from work today the plant looked terrible.  I do have the plant in a location where it gets morning sun, and I have some wooden stakes around it with thin twine, to hold up the branches.  It is still loosing alot of flowers.  I am wondering if I should pinch back most of the stems, because it is rather large.  What do you think?Cry

2012-05-07T16:54:16.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

MCK326

UPDATE ON MY NEW GUINEA IMPATIENS:  They died!  I came home from work today and all of the leaves and the remainder of the flowers had completely wilted and were falling off of the main stem of the plant.  I have no idea why this happened.  I'm truly a pretty good gardener, and this has never happened to me before.  I am going to replace this plant with some more sturdy hot pink geraniums.  Oh well, live and learn.  It sure was a beautiful plant,for about 1 day!!!

2012-05-08T17:12:24.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 3