Jewls89408 Seedling

Jewls89408

Pine tree mulch

People next door just cut down a huge pine tree. When I saw them doing this, I asked if I could have some ofthe mulch they made from it. They said I could have all I wanted. They even brought it to my back yard. They baged it up in large yard bags, like the big leave bags. Well I noticed when I opened some of the bags, it was wet inside and not sure but may have molded, but it didnt smell like mold. 

Is it mold? and if so, can I still use it? Should I dump it out of the bags to air out? I hope this is still useable, to this newbie gardener, it looks like a gold mine. Please set me straight, I can take it :*)

Views: 3684 Replies: 2 Date: 2012-09-01T09:47:51.000Z
Result Count: 2

Tools

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: Pine tree mulch

Open the bags and check for mold if they are quite moldy you may want to toss them if they look okay open the bags up and spread out to dry.  Pine needles are rather acidy and are a great mulch for  acid-loving trees and shrubs.

2012-09-04T06:15:27.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

BrittW

Re: Pine tree mulch

I use pine needles for winter mulch and protection on my strawberry plants.  I have many pine trees, so I rake them up in the fall, but I've never bagged them, so I can't be sure if they get moldy that way.  Any extras that I can't use until later I leave in an uncovered pile near my compost heap, and they've never gotten moldy.

2013-08-17T19:02:15.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 2