BurpeeGuestAcco

BurpeeGuestAcco

New Garden Plot

I am planning a veg garden in a 30 x 30 area. It is located in a field with lots of little trees and overgrown weeds. The open fields belong to my church that we will be building on in the future. We decided to grow a community garden. So what I would like to know is how to get started and did I mention that there is know water supply near the area.

Views: 2686 Replies: 1 Date: 2012-02-14T11:32:10.000Z
Result Count: 1

Tools

VeggieFields

Re: new garden plot

Great question! Most importantly, you'll need a reliable source of water to the garden! Buckets and watering cans are always a possibility, as are hose extensions... regardless the means your yield will suffer if you can't get water to it. That being said... First and foremost, remove every tree, root, and weed- basically get down to the soil level. From there you'll need to amend the soil using mushroom soil, well-composted manure, and possibly a little sand or loam depending on your soil texture. A soil test is a great way to test soil nutrition- you can obtain these from your local extension agency. Once your soil is built up, erect a strong fence to keep unwanted pests away. Once you have a planting plan, make sure that you keep well-watered during the growing season. Tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants will benefit from plant supports. Cucumbers can be trellised to cut down on space. -Chelsey Fields, Vegetable Horticulturist

2012-02-16T09:32:50.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 1