slenkar Soil Stomper

slenkar

Rabbits

How do you stop rabbits eating your crops?

Views: 3752 Replies: 7 Date: 2012-02-10T10:51:37.000Z
Result Count: 7

Tools

YodaCat

YodaCat

Re: Rabbits

Rabbits found a hole in my fence and ate all of my sugar peas but did not touch the hull peas.  This is the first year that I did not have dog hair scattered througout the garden.  So I think the dog hair might work.  But any way to deal with groundhogs because I think I have them too

2013-06-08T21:56:36.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

towngardener

Remove any wood or brush piles--groundhogs use them for shelter.  Also start your fence 2' (yes, feet) underground.  As for bunnies, my  dogs do a pretty good job.  In the front yard (where the dogs can't go), I plant tulip bulbs in balls of freshly brushed dog hair--so far, the squirrels and rabbits have left them alone (5 years or so now).

2013-06-21T14:04:15.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

slenkar Soil Stomper

slenkar

thanks, I think dog hair from the vacuum works too

2012-02-29T06:23:05.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

PA-Gardner

PA-Gardner

HI slenkar!

Wire fences, like chicken wire, until the plants get tall enough to be less interesting is one method. 18"H would work.  Another method that has worked for me is sprinkling dried blood around the plants.  It takes only a little bit, is a high nitorgen fertilizer for the plants, and is non toxic.  The only drawback is that it must be replaced after rains.  I find the rabbits usually find other more favorable spots for most of their snacks and meals after several weeks of faithful application.  By then the plants are larger too!

When I bought my house, a BIG-TIME gardner that had previously owned this place, had left about 8 hoops of 4"x4" fencing wire, bent into tunnels about 4' long x 18" W.  They were covered with either clear plastic, or finer wire mesh, (some of each) going over from long outer sides, over hoop top, and down the other long side, like mini hoop-house greenhouses.  I never seem to get everything done I ought, but have long thought these would work to keep out rabbits, chickens, wild birds etc, until the plants grow up a bit more.  Maybe this year I'll get 'er done on time!

2012-02-10T18:59:37.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

JaymeinMN

JaymeinMN

We keep raised beds (4'ish x 11'ish) with 12" of fence all the way around and nailed to the wood of the raised bed.  We have a terrible rabbit problem from destroying the wigelia all around the house in the winter to mowing the dill, green beans, cilantro and basil to the ground in the summertime.  They even love to taste my pepper plants.  I think I also have them nibbling the tops of the carrots that are sitting just above the dirt its either them or the field mice.  Either way every year we improve our bunny proofing and every year they show us its just not good enough.  I've read a lot about bloodmeal although I've never tried it that may just be where we need to go this spring when they prove us wrong again.  As for the dog fur I don't buy it, two dogs one who just loves bunnies doesn't seem to keep them away at our house.  

2013-03-26T14:41:22.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

kathleeneaster

kathleeneaster

I don't use dog hair from the vacuum, just the dog hair I brush off the dog.  He's a large dog and has a lot of hair.  I just throw it around the garden and it keeps all critters out.  After it rains or washes away, I just replace.  Doesn't always look really pretty but works GREAT!!!

2013-03-26T16:43:07.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

BrittW

I use fencing, netting, and garlic granules all around the garden.  I also plant french marigolds, but I think the rabbits have figured out that old trick, but they add color and look pretty.

2013-08-17T18:52:00.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 7