burpee

Re: new discussion

What do you like to grow in the garden?

2012-03-06T12:47:00.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

BurpeeGuestAcco

BurpeeGuestAcco

I grow many kinds of annual and perennial flowers, fruits, vegetables and herbs.  I have raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries and grapes.  (Apple trees became diseased 2 yrs ago and needed to be cut down.)  I have Rhubarb, asparagus, sage, flat and curled parsley, onion chives, garlic chives, French tarregon, Greek oregano, 5 thymes, "blood dock" sorrel, lovage, 2 kinds of yarrow, Sweet Annie, echinecea (white & purple), ground geraniums, mini and regular hollyhock, lily-of-the-valley, columbine, bleeding heart, lamb's ears, daisies, Japanese and regular iris, Foxglove, artemesia, cosmos, creeping phlox, feverfew, coral bells (3 kinds), lavendar, Oriental poppy, tansy, catmint, peppermint, pineapple mint, lemon balm, bee balm (red), toadflax, Russian sage, delphinium, Fire bush, butterfly bushes (4-5 colors), lilac and mini forsythia buses, day lilies (4 kinds), trumpet vine, hosta, mums, peony, tulips and daffodils, crocus, anemone, snow drops, grape hyacinth, violets, Johnny Jump-ups, fiddlehead ferns, euonymous, astilbe, and about a dozen others whose names escape me at the moment.

For veggies, it varies, but I like Chinese and sugarsnap peas, lettuces, MESCLUN!!!, beets, carrots, spinach, bok choy, broccoli, garlic, Spring bunching onions and regular yellow and red onions, summer and winter squashes, tomatoes, peppers, Swiss chard (rainbow!), green beans, wax beans, and sometimes others too.  I've not had much luck with cauliflower, and due to space issues no longer plant corn.  I have planted sweetpotatoes, but not regular potatoes, since I eat few white ones and save space for other veggies.  For the last 2 years I've been trying to grow leeks and celery--still learning on those, LOL.  I have more than enough to keep me busy, yet love everything but the pain that follows some days's workload.  While I grow a wide variety, I may only have 1 to 4 plants of each, since I'm a family of one, unless I get carried away at the nursery  LOL!  Too often the work gets ahead of me, and not all is harvested when it ought be.  I got better last year about harvesting my herbs and drying them for winter use.  I'd like to try making vinegars and oils with them and other creative uses for herbs.  One of my favorite "happies" is to throw a handful of organically grown, edible flowers into a Spring salad.  Purple, or purple and yellow Johnny-Jump-ups or pansys are especially pretty and tasty with spring greens and a bit of yellow pepper.

2012-03-06T18:54:17.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

stargazer Soil Stomper

stargazer

Hello,

I like vegetables mostly. I've found that tomatos, green beans, snow peas, eggplant,l ettuce, cucumbers peppers, cherry tomotoes have all flurished in my raised garden that u put horse and cow manure in. The tomotoes have grown to 6-8 feet tall and the cherry got to almost 10 feet tall one year, Green beans do wonderful inmy garden and go plenty to put in  frezzer. My lettuce i let go to flower on plant and the next season i had a letuce bed so thick. Peppers do well also but have to get plant that are started or seed early sping indoors. I have one blueberry bush that took 3 years to start producing but is doing well now. i tried some strawberries but htey lasted on eyear and dyed off. I plant flower all aorund my garden to draw in the bees and pollinators. One year i tried corn but the squirrles only know how well it tasted they stripped htem clean before they where full grown. This year will be working with mostly the same and going to start growing herbs. I did a test basil last yeat and it grew to 2 1/2 -3 feet tall. ahhyes and i did cillantro also that grew well.

Kris

2012-03-08T23:42:44.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 3