Squash beetle on Zuccs'

Views: 4220 Replies: 10 Date: 2012-08-07T06:53:21.000Z
Result Count: 10

Tools

Soil Stomper

NewYorkMillet

Re: squash beetle on Zuccs ? Anyone??

Hi Yardman,

Are you trying to say you have beetles on your Zucchini? Do you have any pictures? I've had this problem in the past. Not sure if they were beetles though.

2012-08-07T15:38:38.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

There are several bugs that infest squash, are the bugs yellowish-orange color and seven large black spots on each wing?

2012-08-08T05:52:55.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Pentangeli

Pentangeli

I believe the problem is not the bug, rather a disease it carries.

The resulting effect is a white powdery covering on leaves (zukes, cukes, pumpkins)

I have battled them for the past two seasons. I would welcome suggestions. I am desperate. I am even considering using man-made sprays and additives.

Are there products to control the beetle and ultimately control the fungus spread by the beetle.

ANY SUGGESTIONS??

2013-02-14T13:35:32.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

fredstir Soil Stomper

fredstir

Try DE  (diatomaceus Earth)  Spread around base of plant. As soon as it germinates.   Dusting the plants regularly.  Totally safe and oranic. But remember it takes out the bees too. So back off when blossoms appear.  Really the best bet withou a doubt is ROW Covers. Keeps bugs off in the first place but again you have to open up for non self polinating.  Goggle  Agribon row  covers  15 grade for bug screen  heavier 19 and up for frost and season extending.  Not sure but you might have more than one problem here.  Soil born fungus etc.     Squash bugs are tough big boogers here. They laugh at sevin. When you see the big ugly suckers it's almost to late.  Hand pick and sqush the suckers.  Spray with water and a little dishsoap which kills em quick.  BUT DEFINETLY early on look at the underside of leaves near the ground.   Look for egg clusters. Clip and remove the leaves or scrape and squish em  (YUCK).   Really  YOU TUBE  squash bugs   diatomaceous earth  Google the same. Just remember if they are trying to sell you some product you know what.  But there's  a wealth of knowledge voulunteered with no sales pitch involved.  university ag extensions and master gardeneers are out there.

2013-02-15T06:44:31.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

rookiegardener

I have to battle them in my zone, which is 7b/8a.  I usually try to hand pick and put them in soapy water.  I also look under the leaves for the eggs(shiny and amber colored).  Some say to rub them of, I just carefully cut that part of the leaf off and put in the soapy water too.  When cutting the leaf, make sure to leave the end(the base of the leaf) closed, so you will not get a borer.  So many concerns.  I usually get a good harvest of squash by doing this.  Good luckSmile

2013-02-24T22:38:08.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

growingstrong

growingstrong

I tried diatomaceous earth last year with no success.  They decimated my pumpkins and squash.  I book that I have from the extension department advises pyrellin EC for both squash bugs and borers, also carbaryl and malathion.  I try to be as natural as possible but I have a weed in front lawn that produces spiney burs and squash bug swarms.  Once my problems are addressed, I will try to be more natural again. 

2013-03-04T14:59:04.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

GreenThumbMatt

GreenThumbMatt

I take the same approach as rookie gardener. I head out everyday and pull the adults off the plants and squish them. They stink incredibly bad, but there is no other way to get rid of them. I tried everything. I also cut the piece of the leaf off with the eggs and squish or bury those. I have been able to keep the beetle population to a minimum. They will destroy the plants very quickly if you don't catch them early. The hardest thing is locating the eggs as they are laid under the leaf. Happy hunting.

2013-03-04T16:30:16.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

DahlonegaDogs

DahlonegaDogs

Squash borers. By the time you notice them, it's too late :-(  And pesticides don't work on them. You could try picking off the critters, but borers get inside where you can'together to them. The best way or prevent it that I've found is to get some cheesecloth (you can get big rolls at Home Depot) and place it over the plant as soon as it comes up out of the ground. I've not had any problems since doing this.  Good luck!

2013-03-04T20:27:57.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

fredstir Soil Stomper

fredstir

Adult squash bugs winter over in the soil and mate in the spring. Row covers are great but don't stop any under them.   Soulution:  Pick and throw in bucket of water and a little dish soap. Squeezing is the yuck way to go. Cut off any leaves with egg clusters on the underside.   Spray directly on them with water a little soap  like ivory bar that you've let soak for a liitle while to dissolve and maybe a little vegetable oil so the spray sticks to them.  Honest to GOD this kills them dead in minutes!!!!! They can't breathe.    You tube SQUASH BUGS.  Then let the row covers do the rest.  Get em early before they build an army of the suckers.

2013-03-10T04:04:46.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

skylr41

skylr41

I wish there was a way to prevent them but I do know how to kill them....I have been doing it for years and you can actually spray it on them and watch them die within a few seconds if you saturate them...it does not hurt the plants...

Dice 2 large onions and 6 cloves of garlic...place it in a plastic gallon jug (I use milk jug)

Put in 3 tbs of cayenne pepper 2 tbs oil (vegetable/canola)...

Fill jug with hot tap water and put the lid back on but loosely....place outside foe 2-3 days...then...strain it and pour it into a spray bottle....

Spray the entire plant, from the ground up and both sides of the leaves...if you see walkers, spray them a couple times and they will fall off and die...if you see eggs, I take that leaf off and place it in a bucket of hot soapy water (I use basic dish detergent)...keep the leaves in the water, submerged, for at least 24 hours...for a full kill of the eggs...

Happy Gardening...let me know if you try this...really helps...

Greg

2013-05-25T00:17:05.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 10