tomatoeman Soil Stomper

tomatoeman

winter soil

I was curious about what people do to their soil for a good crop next year?

Views: 7110 Replies: 11 Date: 2011-11-22T11:16:20.000Z
Result Count: 11

Tools

Chickpee

Chickpee

Re: winter soil

TomatoLover, one thing those in the EU have discovered that Americans haven't yet is leaf mold.  Get a few of the big, open wire compost bins (Gardener's Supply has 'em).  Set them up and dump your fall leaves into them.  I layer them with some kitchen composting scraps, coffee grounds from the local Starbucks and a small amount of shredded paper.  I let them sit over the Winter, add more kitchen scraps, turn a bunch of times to airate, (as much as I can in the cold).  In the Spring I spread them over my beds and I don't even till, just leave them there and mulch over them.  They are slimy and kind of gross to the touch, but heck.  

They are wonderful at feeding soil and keeping weeds at bay, believe it or not.  I don't put any oak leaves in there because they take a long time to break down.  It is also best to run over the leaves with a mower to mulch them up before putting them in the bins.  And some grass clippings would be great, but I have a pro mowing and he takes them away.  I've done this for three years in my suburban, clay-filled, alkaline, top-soil-free garden beds and they are almost loamy!

2012-05-02T18:59:40.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

TomatoLover

TomatoLover

What a pretty pic Leslie!

I planted winter rye and grown vetch this past fall as well, but I think I put it down too late, because it really only started growing this early spring.  I just tilled it in.  The Winter Rye was a lot easier to turn with its shallow roots.  I pulled a few vetch plants out and noticed rhizomes on their roots.  I hope I buried them deep enough that I'm not fighting them all summer!  So far so good!

2012-05-01T08:21:06.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

BurpeeGuestAcco

BurpeeGuestAcco

about blackberries!...Last year I started a "no work" garden method where you just mulch and never dig.  Here in NE Ga we have a nice long growing season - BUT in farmed -over red clay that gets hard as a rock when it's dried out.  When it rains, it's soft, and it actually grows stuff!

I planted blackberries 3 years ago and got miserably few berries and the canes just limped along.

so, this summer I had rolls of hay, and muched around the berries as well.  just piled it up, and watered when I did the garden.  One day I was amazed!  the canes had grown tremendously.  I can't wait to see what the fruit will be like...so, mulch mulch, mulch....and water.  Good luck.

2012-02-24T20:25:11.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

daldricht Soil Stomper

daldricht

Just read about the straw and compost as a cover for the winter on this website - I have raised beds and we do not have snow YET - so can I spread the straw to cover the beds?

I don't have compost - but might be able to get some from the various garden centers? Have no clue - have never looked for dirt at this time of year before. This will be my 3rd season trying to get a garden established - it is all new to me.

Blackberries - anyone have luck growing these? I have a large area fenced off so that we are not feeding the local deer population - and got a kitten in October - she should be a good chipmunk "getter" come sppring - I hope?

And I have a next door neighbor that comes over and sits on my front porch and for every ground hog he get s a shot of Jack Daniels.

Now that I have dealt with all the legged critters, I just need to get weather that will allow me to plant without tons of rain (which is what happpened beginning 2011 season) then we had drought most of summer.

Thank god for supermarkets!

2012-02-09T18:34:15.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

DeesPeas

I am definitely using a cover crop next winter. It sounds like a good idea.

2012-01-07T22:31:02.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

gratitude

gratitude

The main thing I will be doing is to correct m soil's pH.  Found out it is 4.9! I'm surprised anything grew!  Needless to say, I'm incorporating lime.  I also have a small SFG ( square foot garden ), which is artificial soil.  OK, so I'm a newbie, but I'm LOVING it!

2011-12-30T09:06:24.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Leslie

I will usually have a Cover Crop growing in rotation plot for the following year consisting of Winter Rye, Field Peas, Ryegrass, Crimson Clover and Hairy Vetch.

Vigorous late summer growth provides winter erosion control. The Peas, Clover and Ryegrass will winter kill to provide organic matter and soil cover. The Hairy Vetch and Winter Rye will regrow in the spring to provide nutrients for crops to utilize. Inoculate for best performance.

2011-12-23T23:12:02.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

CRademan

Our central Arizona weather is very dry, so we have to water often. Our water is alkaline. That makes the soil become salty over time. A local nursery recommends adding this "plant the same day" soil amendment mixture to each 100 square feet of soil. It's helpful here.

6 bags of mulch or compost
10 lbs of gypsum
4 lbs of bone meal
2 lbs of general purpose fertilizer with minor elements 

2011-12-01T07:25:41.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Lanette

Lanette

This year for my raised beds I collected spent coffee grounds from Star Bucks to add to the soil.  I Shredded hay and news paper for the garden, as well as chicken manure and leaves that I didn't shred, wish I had.  My plan is not to till this spring because I think it kills too many worms and worms is what I’m banking on to work for me.  I’m a beginner, so this is all trial and error for me.  Happy gardening!   

2011-11-30T22:09:40.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Itsjustdeb

I add a layer of compost and a layer of straw. I dont till, havent for a ocuple of years. cuts down on the weeds.

2011-11-27T11:21:54.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

Burpee-Hort

A cover crop like winter rye is helpful. In the spring, it can be plowed into the soil for green manure.

2011-11-23T06:13:30.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 11