Shasta Seedling

Shasta

Tomatoes FINALLY turn red only to be black/rotten on the bottom.

I live in zone 7.  ALL of my tomato plants in two different garden sites aren't doing well.  The plants have grown and produced tomatoes but they stay green forever.  A few started to turn red but only to have blackened/rottened bottoms.  Sometimes there isn't much left of the tomato.  I think this is called blossom rot but wanted to see what kind of feedback anyone might have.  Meanwhile, I planted cherry tomatoes as well at both sites and they are doing great.  Thanks! 

Views: 7732 Replies: 9 Date: 2012-06-18T20:41:22.000Z
Result Count: 9

Tools

web1000

web1000

Re: Tomatoes FINALLY turn red only to be black/rotten on the bottom.

Shasta,

I'm having the same problem in zone 4. My tomatoes have a form of blossom end rot but not black as in prior years(which is caused by to much water at one time)  My tomatoes have a grey round spot on the bottom......my.cherry tomatoes look and taste like little marbles. The heat is pretty much burning everything up. My herbs, which get some shade are doing very well but everything else looks half dead despite my efforts to water every day.......happy gardening from Iowa

Prinsea is correct......end rot is caused by lack of calcium. I was thinking of cracked tomatoes

2012-07-16T13:43:06.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

web1000

web1000

Shasta,

I'm having the same problem in zone 4. My tomatoes have a form of blossom end rot but not black as in prior years(which is caused by to much water at one time)  My tomatoes have a grey round spot on the bottom......my.cherry tomatoes look and taste like little marbles. The heat is pretty much burning everything up. My herbs, which get some shade are doing very well but everything else looks half dead despite my efforts to water every day.......happy gardening from Iowa

Prinsea is correct......end rot is caused by lack of calcium. I was thinking of cracked tomatoes

2012-07-16T13:43:06.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

web1000

web1000

Shasta,

2012-07-16T13:43:05.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

web1000

web1000

Shasta,

2012-07-16T13:43:04.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

web1000

web1000

Shasta,

2012-07-16T13:41:46.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

web1000

web1000

Shasta,

2012-07-16T13:39:40.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

web1000

web1000

Shasta,

2012-07-16T13:39:30.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

Prinsea

This is blossom end rot.  What you need to do is to go to a garden center & buy a liquid product that specifically "ends the blossom end rot".  Home Depot sells it for $5.00  It is due to lack of calcium in your soil.  I get it every year too & always have a bottle of this product on hand.  Use it NOW to save the rest of your harvest...it really does work. 

2012-07-05T18:59:59.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

Sounds like blossom end rot, the problem is that the tomato could not metabolize the calcium in the soil it need to develop correctly. This due to the fact that it did not get enough water the day it needed it. The trouble is that the day it needed it could have been any day between blossom set and the day the rot shows up. With tomatoes it is important that their soil is evenly moist every day.

2012-06-21T07:43:12.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 9